Author Topic: Bone-in VS Boneless butts  (Read 7335 times)

niceguy0427

Bone-in VS Boneless butts
« on: February 15, 2015, 07:35:01 PM »
What cooks faster a bone-in or boneless butt?

My son and daughter-in-law have had the pleasure of eating some of my smoked baby backs and pulled pork and they love it! They love it so much that my daughter-in-law just brought me a 13.3 pound boneless butt to smoke for them.  :) I usually figure on 1.5 to 2 hours per pound for a bone-in butt. How long should I figure for a boneless butt? Should I tie it up before smoking? I plan to brine it first.
Don - Idaho
Model#2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Bone-in VS Boneless butts
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 07:44:06 PM »
Are you sure that it is just one?  If it was a Costco pack, there are 2 butts in the pack.  I do the boneless and don't tie them up.  If you figure the 1.5hr/lbs, you should be fine and maybe finish a little early.  IF you are cooking in the 230 - 240 range. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Barrel99

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:40:19 PM »
13+ pounds is a big butt. I don't see them here. I just got a 10.5 and was thinking I might cut it in half. I didn't but thought about it. Makes a lot of pulled pork. Last time I froze half of it.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 12:13:26 AM »
Costco has single boneless as well as two-packs. The singles are packaged on a piece of Styrofoam plate with plastic wrap and the two-packs are cryovac packaged (in our Costco anyhow).

I would definitely string up a boneless butt prior to smoking or it will fall apart on you. Or better yet, make Buckboard bacon out of it and buy a bone-in butt to smoke whole.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 06:57:40 PM »
In my neck of the woods, I never see boneless butts!  No Costco here, and all the stores (from Sam's to local grocery chains) all off bone-in Bostons.  I would actually love to find a boneless butt for slicing - much easier than bone-in!  Funny how regional offerings differ so much.

On to your question - Although I've never smoked a boneless butt, I wouldn't think the time would be much different.  It might actually be a little longer, due to not having the heating-effect of the bone helping it through the stall, but not sure.  I just find bone-in meat, of any kind, seems to cook better (but that may just be my imagination). ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 11:07:45 PM »
I have mentioned these a few other times and find them to be excellent and cheap.
http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_79&products_id=230&zenid=a0d476b655b88bf28334cf9d2bed3840
Form boneless butts, hams, chickens they are working out great for me.
This link has some pictures of them in use. http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1986.msg20932#msg20932
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 11:18:43 PM »
The longest butt I ever smoked was a boneless. It took 22 hours in my #3. I only go with bone in now. Not because of the time but because I feel the bone in stays jucier.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

1stlink

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 06:06:23 AM »
Bone adds flavor in pork, poultry or whatever.. IMO  Boneless for slicing would be dandy as Tony mentioned.

es1025

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 09:20:55 AM »
Costco does sell boneless butts, i typically get my bone in butt from bjs. My concern is the mear staying together. Also, nothing like pulling the bone from a well cooked butt.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

McKay

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 01:58:15 PM »
I just finished 17lbs of boneless from Costco. While very tasty, it was also somewhat dry. Not much fat on the boneless ones here, im going back to bone in. It also took 25 hours @ 225

1stlink

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 03:11:35 PM »
 I'm with Ed on this: nothing like pulling the bone from a well cooked butt.   ;D

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 07:58:44 PM »
Also, nothing like pulling the bone from a well cooked butt.

Oh yeah!  A little wiggle, a little tug, and out she comes, clean as a whistle!  My Meathead's (Cyrus the Mastiff) favorite part! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 08:23:35 PM »

I prefer the boneless, less waste, same great taste.

;)

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 08:40:28 PM »
less waste, same great taste.

No hatin', Dave - just wondering how there's "less waste?"  I know you pay a little ¢ for the weight of the bone, but what else? 
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 08:46:59 PM »
less waste, same great taste.

No hatin', Dave - just wondering how there's "less waste?"  I know you pay a little ¢ for the weight of the bone, but what else?
The boneless tend to come a little more trimmed.  When I pull, all but a handful of the fat has rendered out into the meat.  No cap to speak of.