Author Topic: Worst ribs EVER!  (Read 2260 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Worst ribs EVER!
« on: August 10, 2014, 01:49:46 PM »
The ribs are smoking now. I am sure they will taste great because they are pork and in my SI. I say they are the worst ever because of how they are cut. My wife was trying to help and picked up ribs on sale at Kroger.

I made a batch of Memphis Dust  and opened the packages of ribs. Huge disappointment in the ribs. They appear to be the scraps left over from trimming St. Louis Cut Spares. There was a huge flap of belly meat with no bone and a large chunk of sternum. They had been folded and packaged to give the appearance of meaty ribs.

I broke them down and separated the parts in hope of getting even cooking. And am hoping for the best. I tried mustard on the bone sections and oil on the meaty scraps.

The bottom picture is the meat flaps and bone sections.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

es1025

Re: Worst ribs EVER!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »
Brian
Don't worry, looks are only skin deep.  You will have some yummy treats in 5 hours.

The memphis dust is magic.

Poof! Awesome ribs!

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 03:22:14 PM »
Yea, about that 5 hours....
I smoked these on a day I needed to go to work so I checked them at 3hrs 23minutes. They were perfect. Last batch I made I checked at 4.4 hours and they were perfect. Today's "ribs" were very thin so I understand them going quicker. However whit the results of last session I will make a point to check at 4.5 in the future.

On the oil v mustard comparison the mustard ribs were more dry. The mustard were also on the top two racks so not sure if that makes a huge difference. They tasted the same. Turned into a fine meal for the family, now of to work for me.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 05:12:26 PM »
Brian, looks like the Kroger boys pulled a fast one on ya'! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!