Author Topic: 1st pork butt  (Read 7032 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: 1st pork butt
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 03:05:17 PM »
Outstanding, I'm glad you were successful. If you cranked it down without opening for a look you saved a lot of steam. Should be fantastic dinner. Post some pics, I'm off to work no smoke for me today.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 06:16:33 PM »
Outstanding, I'm glad you were successful. If you cranked it down without opening for a look you saved a lot of steam. Should be fantastic dinner. Post some pics, I'm off to work no smoke for me today.

I have to respectfully disagree on this one, Brian.  If you want to stop the cooking, you have to open the door and let the smoker cool down quickly.  If I plan a "hold" after a smoke, I turn down the temp about 10°  below my desired temp, keep the door closed, and watch the IT for a bit.  If I'm close to the IT, I cut the smoker back to 135 and open the door until the Auber (or Maverick) shows it's around 135.  Because these smokers are so tight, they'll maintain that set temp for quite awhile after dialing-down to a hold temp, and you'll have an overdone smoke before you take it out.  Just my 2¢.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Snoopy

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 09:14:30 PM »
Was a great dinner! I let it rest in smoker for about 2hrs holding at 145-150* till we got all the other fixins done. Here are some pics: Sorry they are so big i'll work on getting them resized.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:09:50 AM by Snoopy »
Lance from Woodstock OH, #1 owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 09:49:20 PM »
Looks like a fine spread, Lance!  Pork, corn and cobbler!  Sure you aren't from the South?? ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Snoopy

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 12:16:09 AM »
Hey Tony I resized the pics by following your instructions. That is actually mac n cheese not cobbler  ;). My Dad is from W. Virginia so we are kinda from the south  :D. Thanks again to all for the help, this is an awesome smoker and forum! I have a brisket in the freezer that girlfriend picked up for me to try. Time to study up on that.
Lance from Woodstock OH, #1 owner

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 12:46:34 AM »
Great pics that looks like a fantastic meal.

Here's was my thinking on the temp Tony. If I'm running my smoker at 230 (No Auber), the meat hits 197-200'ish cut the heat to 145. The smoker may already be as low as 205 because if the swings, by cranking the dial back I get well below that point so no chance of it getting hotter. The meat can only get cooler.

Now with your unit, if it is set 235 it IS, 235. You have to open it up to cool it off, or the meat will continue to cook up to likely the 220's

But I have been wrong before...

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 01:25:46 AM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 11:56:47 AM »
Hey Tony I resized the pics by following your instructions. That is actually mac n cheese not cobbler  ;) . My Dad is from W. Virginia so we are kinda from the south  :D . Thanks again to all for the help, this is an awesome smoker and forum! I have a brisket in the freezer that girlfriend picked up for me to try. Time to study up on that.

Sorry about that - looks like cobbler, at first glance! :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas