Author Topic: Pulled Pork - Two Butts are Better than One!  (Read 10583 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Pulled Pork - Two Butts are Better than One!
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 12:41:24 AM »
Well came home to look at Q pics and am sadly disappointed. I hope your late dinner was good and you were just to tired and full to log on.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 12:53:51 AM »
Hey Brian, it is almost 1 AM and the butts are still in the smoker.  One is at 192, the other at 180.  I will pull them each out when they reach 200, then foil and in the cooler. I will then shred them after they sit for 2 hours.  Unfortunately due to unanticipated rain this weekend, the timing of my smoke was off, however since these butts were really for quick evening meals (to vacuum seal and freeze), I wasn't too worried. It just means I will have to get up throughout the night to tend to the butts. At least it will be ready in time for pulled pork sandwiches for lunch.

They do smell great and I just opened it quickly to do a quick probe of the 2nd butt, and they look great, really moist and juicy. Pics will be posted by tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:57:21 AM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 01:19:41 AM »
Sounds good Tony, there are worse things than having to stay up with the smoker. Its 66 here in Michigan, would be a good night on the deck. I will check your pics out tomorrow.
- Sigmund Freud

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 02:50:52 AM »
I pulled the first butt out when it reached 200 IT, wrapped and let it rest in the cooler for a few hours. Below are the pics of the first butt.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:17:23 AM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 09:53:15 AM »
That looks awesome! Nice job.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 12:52:13 PM »
Very nice, I need to go buys some butts I'm getting hungry.
- Sigmund Freud

gmbrown

• Owner of a #3
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 01:00:43 PM »

Memphis Dust Recipe

To give credit where credit is definitely due, this recipe is courtesy of "Meathead" at Amazing ribs.com: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

I've used it myself--it's very good.
Geoff from Michigan, exiled to Ohio

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 01:11:52 PM »
Geoff, everyone here is pretty aware of Meathead and his Dust. In fact Tony was the first to post and credit Meathead http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1948.0
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 01:23:31 PM »
Brian, I think you may have been confusing the new post (yesterday) with the original post by Ed back in 1/2014:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1387.0

Both are good threads with high praise for this rub.

It is on my list of rubs to try.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 05:51:38 PM »
Hey Guys, when I posted the rub recipe, I didn't realize that it was already posted earlier this year. The difference between the two posts is that my version doesn't include salt while Ed's version has salt in it.  Credit goes to Ed on this one and I may even remove my rub post as there is no need to have a duplicate recipe on the site.

In regards to the pulled pork, it turned out great, but I tried something different this time around.  My wife and kids don't like eating any of the fat so I have to trim it off before shredding after the smoke. Not to lose any of the great flavour and moisture that the fat adds to the pork, I put all the fat in a pan then slowly cooked it down on low heat to render the fat to a liquid, then poured the liquid over the pork. This added additional flavour and moisture back to the shredded pork.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:13:11 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 07:52:34 PM »
Nice job, Tony!  Did you notice a difference in the brined butt before adding the liquid gold back onto it?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »
Hey Tony, the brine did make a difference but not as much as it did on the brisket. On the next one, I will smoke two butts at the same time, one brined and the other without, then I do a side by side comparison.

Overall, the both turned out great and very moist.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:19:31 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 07:32:12 PM »
Try one without the wrapped rest in the fridge after brining (no matter what the book says)...just for funzies!  I see a pretty good difference in the finished butt.  Also, I take mine out at 196-198, as they'll rise over 200 while resting in the cooler.  I find they stay more moist, and there's no loss of tenderness at all. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 10:30:57 PM »
I believe your post brine, rest or no rest issue, is less important with a butt as compared to say a turkey. The butt is going to be pulled mixed and remixed. If the outer inch has a higher salt content than the interior it is not noticeable as it would be on a slices of turkey breast.

If he had his brined butts on a rack/pan and covered with plastic wrap they did not evaporate any moisture. As you have said. "All meat is different" or words to that affect.

All meat is improved by a brine but, even the best brine wont make all meat perfect.
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 11:08:07 PM »
Agreed, Brian.  You're absolutely right - all meat is different - even from the same animal!  Sometimes you just get a bad cut.  I've had butts that didn't turn out as expected, even following the "tried and true" methods!  I guess that's what makes our hobby/addiction to rewarding - and frustrating; we can't control everything, no matter how hard we try!  Sometimes, the meat has its own agenda. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas