Author Topic: Pulled Pork - Two Butts are Better than One!  (Read 10530 times)

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Pulled Pork - Two Butts are Better than One!
« on: July 18, 2014, 03:47:27 PM »
I'm getting ready for the weekend and planning to smoke two (bone in) pork butts for pulled pork. Some will be for consuming now and the rest I will vacuum seal and into the freezer it goes for quick meals when needed. Each butt weighs 8 and 9 pounds respectively.

This past weekend I smoked a whole packer brisket and it was the best I ever had, extremely moist and juicy, even after reheating. I had brined the brisket and it absolutely helped produce sliced heaven on a bun, therefore I am now a true believer of brining.  That being said, these two butts are going for a dip (au natural) into the brine.

I used Tony's butt brine recipe and I will soak them for at least 12 hours, then pat dry, add mustard and dry rub, and into the smoker tomorrow morning.  I haven't decided on the wood combo yet, but it will definitely be a mix of two types, one being apple wood.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:06:40 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Pulled Pork - Two Butts are Better than One!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 03:49:56 PM »
Sounds great!
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 08:46:19 PM »
Oh yeah, baby!  Nothing like a good, brined, 2-butt day!  I'd go hickory/cherry, but that's just me - not an applewood fan. :-\
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 11:45:01 AM »
After 14 hours in the brine, I pulled the two butts out, then patted dry with paper towels and applied a coat of mustard as a binding agent, then applied the dry rub.

There was a recipe for a dry rub which I wanted to try for this smoke which is listed below and which I also added to the rub section of this forum. The interesting part of this rub is the ground rosemary. I didn't have any on hand, however I simply put rosemary in the coffee grinder to achieve the same results.

Memphis Dust Recipe
Yield. Makes about 3 cups. Store the extra in a zipper bag or a glass jar with a tight lid.
Preparation time. 10 minutes to find everything and 5 minutes to dump them together.

Ingredients
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

After applying the rub, I wrapped in plastic wrap and back into the fridge. After 12 hours of allowing the butts to get happy before there anticipated smoke, I put them in my #3, both on the same shelf, closest to the top of the smoker as possible (second position from the top), added 6 oz of hickory chunks (I wanted to use some apple wood, but didn't have any on hand), added a pan of apple juice to the bottom of the smoker, and set the temperature to 230.

Since the largest butt is 9 lbs, I am estimating approximately 13 hours for this smoke, however I haven't smoked two butts at once yet, therefore I don't know how this will impact the duration of the smoke.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:13:05 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 01:01:17 PM »
Sounds good, Tony!  One tip I might give you about brined butts - don't let them sit in the fridge for 12 hours after brining.  You lose a lot of the liquid that infuses the meat.  A good overnighter with rub is fantastic, but I've found it not necessary on the brined butts.  I remove from brine, rinse, pat dry, rub, and in the smoker they go!  You've infused a lot of moistness and flavor with the brine, so the rub is just the icing on the cake!  Plus, it shortens the prep time to 12 hours.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 01:09:39 PM »
Did they have a thick fat layer, why the cross hatch cuts?

From Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman

Allow the meat to rest in the refrigerator after it is brined, for a couple of hours for small items and up to a day for larger cuts. Resting allows the salt within the meat to disperse more evenly. Immediately after it is taken out of the brine the meat closer to the surface will have a higher salt concentration than the interior will.

My opinions:

Allowing the meat to rest in the fridge adds in drying the surface which leads to better bark.
I think any run off you get while it is resting would occur while your cooking possibly loosening bark.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:30:29 PM by Pork Belly »
- Sigmund Freud

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 01:56:53 PM »
Hey Brian, when I removed the two butts from the brine, I gave them a rinse in cold water, then place them one of the racks from the smoker and placed a tray under the rack ( similar to my pic). Then I covered the whole tray with plastic wrap and placed in the fridge for about 7 hours. This ensured that the meat did not dry out uncovered in the fridge and allowed for any water to drain into the pan.

At that point, I removed, patted dry and applied mustard and dry rub. Then wrapped each individually and back in the fridge overnight.

The butts were well trimmed with the right amount of fat, however I wanted to try the cross cuts for this smoke to see if it makes a difference when brining and with the rub being able to penetrate the meat during the smoke.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 02:12:44 PM »
Are they cooking now?
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 02:14:14 PM »
Hehe... never mind me. :-[   When I've let brined meat sit very long, it seemed dryer than when not.  The book says otherwise though...
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 02:23:36 PM »
Brian, the butts are in the smoker now, started about 3 hours ago and currently at an internal temp if 140.  I wanted to start it last night for an overnight smoke, but it was raining and I don't have a covered area for the smoker.

Tony, I didn't plan on letting them sit in the fridge after brining, however something unexpectedly came up and I had to run out and take care of it, it just happened that way.  However when I took the out, there was very little water on the bottom of the pan and the butts had a good consistency to them.

I'm not worried, I am anticipating a good smoke.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 02:26:30 PM »
It sounds like it is going to be a fine meal, I look forward to the after pictures.
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 03:18:17 PM »
Looking forward to the pictures!  Nothin' better than a couple of fine butts! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 04:20:55 PM »
Brian/Tony, thank you both for your feedback. Pictures will follow once the smoke is complete. My previous smoked pulled pork were great, but this is the first time I brined them. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference. I can honestly say that the brined brisket I smoked last weekend was absolutely fantastic, so moist and juicy, it melted in your mouth and my friends and family who ate it are still raving about it. I even surprised myself.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 07:05:20 PM »
Trust me - you'll see a difference in the brined butt!  I couldn't believe the difference, and never smoke them any other way, now!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 08:40:36 PM »
With the difference I noticed with the melt in your mouth brined brisket, I'm now a convert and true believer.

The butts are now 9.5 hours in and are sitting at 169 IT.  Looks like I hit a stall, but no worries, I will just ride it out and let the smoker work it's magic.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It