Author Topic: How to install a permanent Auber temperature probe  (Read 117167 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: How to install a permanent Auber temperature probe
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2014, 03:09:59 PM »
I haven't done any testing, but from what others have said, the temperature is more stable toward the top of the box verses the bottom. That is why most are putting their permanent probe toward the top.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2014, 10:12:55 AM »
For those that have done the permanent probe, did you feel that the homemade spacer on the backside was necessary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA_O591nGnU
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

CUTiger80

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2014, 11:01:16 AM »
I am still confused about the best location for the probe.
In previous posts by Tony, he indicated that he would put the probe about 1" from the top of the smoker (if he had to do over again).
In the Youtube video posted by Ed (with a link provided in the previous post by SuperDave), he mounted the probe 4-3/4" below the top of the inner cabinet which puts the probe about 3/4" below the top rack.
Wondering what you guys that have installed this before have done and what your results have been.
I don't want to have to drill multiple holes in my cabinet when I install this thing in the next couple of days.
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis

bigfoot21075

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2014, 08:48:19 AM »
I am curious about this too, I have not installed mine as of yet....
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2014, 10:44:15 AM »
Since so much of smoking is taking a course of action and making adjustments in the next smoke, I'm not sure 4" is something to micro manage over.  IMO, the baseline is what we go by so either of those placements will establish a consistent baseline that we learn to predict our smokes from. 

CUTiger80

« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2014, 11:12:34 AM »
Dave,
You are sure waxing philosophical today!!
As an engineer, I know what you mean.  Sometimes we get bogged down in details that, in the long run, probably don't matter.  But, that kind of stuff just pops into our left-brain and sometimes it is very difficult to get out (just ask my wife).
Thanks for aligning our compass!!
I think that I will mount mine up high (like 1" from the top) because, if nothing else, it will be less likely to interfere with anything that I smoke.
Ravel

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2014, 11:14:40 AM »
So, are you guys going to use the spacer like the video or go full penetration?

Walt

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2014, 11:15:14 AM »
Tony,

Any further detail on the 1" nylon spacer?  Where did you purchase it & did it come with a hole in it or did you drill it & what size ID?  Would a 1" long socket from a ratchet work as a spacer?  I will be receiving an Auber for Christmas & am trying to get the parts together to permanently mount the thermocouple with the missile launcher switch.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Walt

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2014, 11:18:34 AM »
 I agree with you Dave.  I plan 1" from the top as well for the same reason, to keep clear of any possible meat. I do intend on useing the spacer.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »
Walt, the socket should absolutely work.  I'm going to use a couple SS nuts with a washer at each end.

CUTiger80

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2014, 11:24:54 AM »
I just received my Auber and temperature probe and, although I have not started the install yet, I plan to use a spacer of some type to minimize the projection of the probe into the smoker box. 
The threaded portion of the probe is 5/16" diameter.  I am hoping that I have a piece of 5/16" ID copper tubing that I can cut to length for a spacer.  If not, I will stack several 5/16" washers to create a spacer of the correct thickness.  The socket idea should work also, but I certainly don't have any spare sockets laying around.  I believe that a piece of hardwood (like maple or ash) would work, but I'm not sure that I want to take a chance on it getting hot enough to start smoldering inside the back wall of the SI.
Ravel

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2014, 11:34:51 AM »
CUTiger, copper and stainless create a dissimilar metal reaction? 

Walt

« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2014, 11:35:26 AM »
I have a drawer full of misfit sockets.

Wrt the tabs that hold the rack supports, there was a thread on that topic many months ago.  This sounds like a common issue with regards to quality control.  Something Steve needs to address with his manufacturer.  I ground mine down with an angle grinder months ago but have NEVER actually used the higher position. 
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2014, 11:42:50 AM »
I wonder if it would be wise to place the probe 1" from the top and midway from the side and the middle to stay as clear as possible from the smoke hole?

Just thinking out loud.

I like the idea of placing the probe up high because there are several smokes where I am not using the top rack and the permanent probe if placed below the top rack could be right up against the meat.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2014, 11:51:22 AM »
This is kind of what I was thinking.

Thoughts?
Gregg - Fargo, ND