Author Topic: Using the smoker box chip insert with chunks?  (Read 3882 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Using the smoker box chip insert with chunks?
« on: February 12, 2014, 12:23:24 AM »
Do you guys see any pro or con of using the Smoker Box Chip Insert with full size chunks? I know it was designed for chips, but wondering what would happen if you used it for chunks as well.

Could this help prevent some of the issues that some see with the dry big box store wood chunks?

Would there be any pros or cons of still using it with good smoking chunks?

Just a thought. Wondering what you guys think?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Using the smoker box chip insert with chunks?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »
Not sure, Gregg.  I only use chunks, so I don't have a chip screen.  My recommendation, though, is to invest in quality wood and stay away from the dry big box stuff; easiest way to avoid issues with it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
I bought an extra 5 pound bag of Hickory and Cherry. So I should be good for awhile.

I was just thinking of this for some of the others that have been having to soak or foil their wood to prevent the combustion.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 11:17:18 AM »
You'll be well-stocked for quite awhile with 10 lbs!  They were out of cherry last time I ordered wood, so I bought from Fruitawood (wanted some other flavors, too).  The dowels are great, and I bet the SI cherry is very good, too.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 11:21:32 AM »
Yeah, I figured at mere ounces per smoke, I should be sitting pretty for quite a while. I would like to get some more fruit woods though. So an order from Fruita Wood may be in my future.

I haven't tried the Cherry yet, but the Hickory that I used last night to season my smoker had such a depth of smell that I haven't had with other hickory chunks/chips that I have used in the past. This is quality stuff from Smokin-It.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 12:02:30 PM »
Another good source for hard-to-find woods is Maine Grilling Woods (mainegrillingwoods.com).  I've had good luck with them, too.
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 01:13:01 PM »
Yep, I already had that page bookmarked as well. Actually I like Maine Grilling Woods is a little better because you can get a 5lb bag, whereas at Fruita, the smallest I see is 10lbs. That is a lot of wood!

Thanks for reminding me and anyone else who reads this about another really good option.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 10:14:11 PM »
I really don't think leaving the chip screen in will effect anything at all, but it isn't going to really help anything with chunks. I would say leave it out unless you really need it, say using chips on a cold smoke.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2