Author Topic: First Pork Shoulder  (Read 2050 times)

puddle jumper

First Pork Shoulder
« on: January 10, 2014, 08:29:12 PM »
This might suprise some but i did my first pork shoulder on the smokin it this week diring the cold front,,, Mustard , and Plow Boys,sit for 12 hrs,, In the smoker for 13hrs and pulled at 185,,,
Fall apart, Awsome...
PJ
The only amazing part was,, The internal temp of the smoker when I fired it up was 12 deg...
it came up to temp and never missed a beat with the outside temp of 4 deg!!
now that's winter Q
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: First Pork Shoulder
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 08:51:30 PM »
That's an awesome cold-weather test, John!  Looks really good!  Surprised that pulled well at 185.  Most of us take butts to 200 for pulled pork, and 175 for sliced.  That's great!  Did you wrap and rest it for awhile before pulling?  That would have brought the IT up to 190+. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

puddle jumper

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 12:17:44 AM »
To be honest I was looking for 200, but I knew the time was about right so I checked it and it was falling apart so maybee it was where I had the maverick?? But it was defiantly done,, I have done them in the past where the outside was done but the inside was like a roast,, this one was tender all the way through...
 ???
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 12:22:27 AM »
Good deal, PJ.  Might have been probe placement.  I usually put mine into the deckle portion (the solid meat part in front of the blade bone), so it's not touching the bone.  I've just never experienced good pulling at that temp - good you did!  That's really all that counts!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!