Author Topic: Tenderloin with smoked apple juice gravy  (Read 4767 times)

bdeleser

Tenderloin with smoked apple juice gravy
« on: December 12, 2013, 01:00:33 PM »
Just now getting around to posting this from last weekend.  Did a 10# tenderloin in the #2 on Sunday.  Rubbed with mustard and Butt Burner's rub mix, then smoked with hickory and apple untill 165 degrees IT, then pulled and wrapped for about an hour.  Came out great, but will pull it at 155 degrees IT next time.

I had put a small disposable aluminum loaf pan on the bottom shelf with apple juice.  I took that and made a gravy with it by first sauteeing some minced garlic in olive oil, then added the juice and 2 packets of brown gravy mix.  Let it simmer until it thickened, then served it on the side.  It must have been good, there was not a drop left!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Tenderloin with smoked apple juice gravy
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 02:13:15 PM »
Great job!   I had not thought of making gravy from the apple juice; gonna have to try that out!    Curious, though, about why you plan to pull at 155IT next time...did the pork IT rise by 10 degrees when you wrapped it?  I have heard that the meat will continue to cook while wrapped.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 08:17:50 PM »
Looks good!  I smoke pork loins often, and I pull them at 155.  The meat is done, safe, and juicy at that temp.  Because they're only in the smoke for a few hours, at low temp (225), they don't develop much bark.  I like to do a "reverse sear" on loins:  I preheat the Weber gasser to 500, brush on a light coating of sauce, then sear for a few minutes per side on the grill.  It caramelizes the rub and sauce, and makes a mighty tasty coating.  Sliced thin, it makes the best pork sammies in the world!

Here's one I did with hickory and cherry:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=834.0

The possibilities are limitless! ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 08:21:10 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bdeleser

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 10:43:13 PM »
Steve, I had read a few previous posts where most folks pulled their pork roasts at 155 if they planned to slice them instead of doing pulled pork.  I can only assume the IT continued to rise after I pulled it, did not check with a thermometer.  While it was good, it did seem just a tad overcooked, so I think taking it out a bit sooner might make it just a bit more juicy and tender.  Will experiment and see.

The gravy was a success though!

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 04:18:37 PM »
Steve, I had read a few previous posts where most folks pulled their pork roasts at 155 if they planned to slice them instead of doing pulled pork.  I can only assume the IT continued to rise after I pulled it, did not check with a thermometer.  While it was good, it did seem just a tad overcooked, so I think taking it out a bit sooner might make it just a bit more juicy and tender.  Will experiment and see.

The gravy was a success though!

You have valid points, bdeleser, but there's a major difference between those cuts (pork tenderloin vs shoulder for pulled pork).  You wouldn't ever want to try and cook a loin or tenderloin to 200.  The main difference in the cuts is fat content - much more in the shoulder, and the loins are very lean.  The 155, without wrap/rest, will yield great slices.  If you want to wrap it, pull it at 150 and rest it in foil.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 09:22:05 AM »
Thanks for the info..for some reason I was operating on a 165IT for pork, but I will drop back to 155.  I also like the idea of a sear on the grill too!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 12:13:14 PM »
A lot of people advocate 175 IT for a pork shoulder (Boston butt) you intend to slice.  Probably has to do with the fat content, I would guess.  You could go to a higher temp than a loin without risk of it drying-out.  I'm going to try brining a loin tomorrow.
Tony from NW Arkansas

DakotaDano

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 01:42:15 PM »
Interesting posts. Doing a pork loin today. Did 2 hour smoke with store baught rub. Then put it in tinfoil pan on top of small rack. Poured about cup and half apple juice in pan to keep moist and covered top with tin foil. Along side to keep moist I also use 2 pans of beer along side of smoke box. Thanks for all info. Will let everyone know how it turns out.

Dano

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 02:36:20 PM »
Sounds good, Dano!  Can't wait to hear how it turns out.  If it's a winner, post the details & pics in a new thread under "Pork."  We're always looking for good loin recipes!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Courspanis

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 11:14:30 PM »
Planning to get away from house this weekend to a beach condo (gonna be colllld) and considering pulling out some frozen pork tenderloins, brining Thursday evening, and smoking Friday to be eaten about 6-10 hours later.  Will it transport well in a chilled cooler and then reheated in oven before serving, or might this dry things out? I'm not sure if maybe it'd work to undercook in smoker and later finish in oven? Or would it be better to just save the tenderloins for another time I can serve sooner after smoking? Thanks!

Etex

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 10:56:06 AM »
Courspanis
Planning to get away from house this weekend to a beach condo (gonna be colllld) and considering pulling out some frozen pork tenderloins, brining Thursday evening, and smoking Friday to be eaten about 6-10 hours later.  Will it transport well in a chilled cooler and then reheated in oven before serving, or might this dry things out? I'm not sure if maybe it'd work to undercook in smoker and later finish in oven? Or would it be better to just save the tenderloins for another time I can serve sooner after smoking? Thanks!

I would not undercook it and transport it.  I would fully cook it and put it in the oven at 250 and cover it with foil after slicing and let it warm slowly.  You might put a small amount of liquid ( I use apple juice and water) in with it if you think it is dry. Slicing it will allow it to reheat evenly.  I took one out of the freezer day before yesterday that I had brined and smoked two weeks ago and had for dinner last night.  It was still moist and very tender and absolutely delicious.  I like it cold as well.  Just make sure you have reached the correct internal temperature when cooking.   I cube it and put it in a salad and the tender smokiness is great.  Others will have ideas I am sure.  I was not a big fan of pork loin until I started smoking it in my #3.  Cooked it a lot of ways, but never overwhelmed.  Now I prefer it to pulled pork.