Author Topic: #3 Question  (Read 3977 times)

Canadian Fizz

#3 Question
« on: October 15, 2013, 07:03:47 PM »
I feel like I'm being kind of a pest. But has anybody here cut the legs off a #3 so it can sit flat on a surface?
I'm making a stand with a pull out tray and door for storage for my future #3. I would like it to sit flat on top. There will be a place for the drip pan inside the cabinet. I'm worried about total height so I was hoping to remove the casters and legs. If anybody can give me just the cabinet dimensions height, width and depth that would be a great help. I'm making the cabinet/stand this winter and buying a #3 in spring. Not much else to do in Saskatchewan in the winter lol.

Thanks everyone
Fizz

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: #3 Question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 08:20:14 PM »
Fizz, I think cutting the legs off would be a huge mistake, for a couple of reasons!  First, you'll most likely void your warranty.  If you develop problems and need to send it back, I don't think Steve would appreciate the missing legs!  Secondly, the airspace under the smoker (and the drip pan area) is absolutely critical to proper operation of the smoker.  What you find is one small "drain hole" in the bottom of the smoker, and a larger vent hole in the top (I call it the "blow hole").  The smoke box must have oxygen to allow the wood to smoulder.  If you restrict the area below the smoker, you shut-off that oxygen.  If you run the smoker with the drip pan removed, you get too much air to the smoke box, and the wood will flare.

The design is what it is for a reason!  Please don't make any major mods like cutting the legs off.  You can certainly remove the castors, which is what you would do for the factory cart, but don't take a saw to the unit.

I would strongly recommend redesigning your cart/stand around the smoker as-is, and not considering modifying the smoker.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Canadian Fizz

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 08:25:06 PM »
All good points DivotMaker. I will do a redesign thanks for your expertise.

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 08:33:13 PM »
No problem, Fizz!  Always sends up a "red flag" when I hear someone talking about modifying their smoker before they even have it.   ;)

Trust me, when you finally get your #3, you will be amazed at the quality of BBQ you can produce, and you'll kick yourself for ever considering "chopping the legs off!" ;D   It'd be like chopping the roof off of your new Ferrari so it will fit in your garage better!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 09:32:46 PM »
I agree wth Tony (DM), I would not cut the legs off and it is not as easy as it looks.  The bottom of the smoker is not flat and it has rails to hold the drip pan.  Tony is right about the impact it would have on the operation of the smoker.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Canadian Fizz

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 10:45:56 PM »
I have changed my design. Tony or anybody else can you tell me the total height of the #3 with legs but not with the casters? The Smokin-It web site lists it at  29-1/4 inches but I'm not sure if that includes the casters or not.
Thanks to all who have helped me.
Fizz

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 10:47:47 PM »
Sorry Fizz, I'll have to defer to our #3 owners....I have a #1. :(
Tony from NW Arkansas

Canadian Fizz

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 10:52:06 PM »
I'm getting very excited I might not be able to wait until spring. I know shipping cost to Canada will kill me but I'm willing to bite the bullet on that to get a #3. DivotMaker you have been a huge help to this "newby"
Thanks

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 10:43:01 AM »
You're welcome, Fizz - that's what we're all about here!
Tony from NW Arkansas