Author Topic: Taste Test, 4 Choices of Baby Backs  (Read 3980 times)

puddle jumper

Taste Test, 4 Choices of Baby Backs
« on: October 13, 2013, 07:42:36 PM »
OK,,I started the prep work on a little taste test just to see how I like them side by  side...

I have two full racks of baby backs that I cut in half for the #2 for in the afternoon,,, 24 hr marinade with mustard as a binder on two,,,with Jim Baldridge Secret Seasoning, Plowboys yardbird rub "my long time favorite , my old standby cyan, salt and pepper,, and a new one just to see how it does, orange's on top marinated with garlic and orange juice..."little Caribbean flavor",,,Going to do a straight smoke at 250 with 3.3oz of peach for about 5.1/2 hrs

Here is the prep and I will let you know my thoughts when they come off the smoker for dinner...
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Taste Test, 4 Choices of Baby Backs
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 08:00:17 PM »
Pretty creative, there, PJ!  I bet the Caribbean ones are going to be really unique!  I love Baldridge seasoning (as you probably know), but have never tried it on ribs!  Sure be interested in your take on that one!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

puddle jumper

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 08:05:15 PM »
You know I like to try different kinds of cooks ,, I thought what the heck,, the acid in the orange juice should help break down the meat during the marinade stage and make it tangy and tender in the cook,," I Hope ;) "
We will see...
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

shomesmoke

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 08:15:08 PM »
 ??? This could be good, we are all waiting on the results.
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

BIG BOB

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 10:33:59 AM »
WHATS THE VERDICT?
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

puddle jumper

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 07:11:33 PM »
Ok guys sorry about the wait,,

The ribs where great,, according to my girls they are the best I have mad on the Smokin it smoker, Maybe I'm starting to get used to this one finally...

Ok for the ribs,,, first the Orange,,, nobody really cared for them ,they where tender but just not a good BBQ flavor so for this one I have one more thing to try along these lines,,, Pineapple and if we don't like them I'm giving this one up....

The traditional salt pepper and light cyan as always we like this one,, they where my Wife's fav...

The Jim's ,we liked them but not enough of the traditional BBQ bite.. but I would say try it you might like it...

and the hands down winner is the PlowBoy's,, mine and my Daughters Fav... and my wife's #2,,,
and I got a attaboy from the girls as a fun dinner...

3.3 oz of peach wood, 250 for a little more than 6 hrs  with a Ceramic water bowl "helps with the temp swing and moisture" Fall off the bone good...
Matter of fact the smaller traditional where so tender they fell off the bone when I tried to cut them..

PJ
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:15:11 PM by puddle jumper »
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 07:48:29 PM »
Very cool experiment, John!  The ribs look great!

One you might try on your next "experiment" is Famous Dave's Rib Rub.  I've used it for years, but hadn't in awhile.  I used on my last two rib smokes, and a Boston butt, and I really like it!  I'm going to try to make my own recipe that's similar, as it's about $4 a bottle, and I used a whole bottle on the 3 racks of baby backs I did last weekend!  Pork is the only thing I really like it on.  Good combination of sweetness and heat.

Way to think outside the (smoker) box! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

puddle jumper

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 12:33:11 PM »
Sounds good,, I think I see my next taste test coming up,,,
Famous Dave's, Sticky Fingers dry rub, pineapple and Plowboys and see how that goes...
 ;D
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner