Author Topic: Are these guys made in the U.S.?  (Read 11505 times)

Greenesway

Are these guys made in the U.S.?
« on: October 12, 2013, 01:02:58 PM »
Have tried to answer this question and can not find it anywhere?  (Are these made in the U.S.?) Still looking to get the #3 but just would like to know.  My neighbor has a Cookshack but it cost a bunch more money!  If they are made here then why don't they plaster it all over the place? 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Are these guys made in the U.S.?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Welcome to the site, Greenesway.  This is a family-owned company from Ohio, and I believe they manufacture these in Ohio.  I've asked Ben from Smokin-It for confirmation on this. 

One thing I can tell you is that, no matter who actually puts these together, they are phenomenal smokers, and absolutely the best bang for the buck in electric smokers today.  "Old Sarge" (user name) is an owner of a CookShack, and can definitely give his feedback on the comparison.  Check out his posts, and you'll see.

Great question!  That is what this forum is all about.  Hang out when you can, and don't be shy to ask questions.  We're a loyal crew here due to the quality of these smokers, and the fine quality (customer support) of the Smokin-It company - and people!  Give Steve a call at 260-417-9951 - you'll be glad you did!

Tony
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 02:15:18 AM »
Greenesway, to answer your question, the company is registered and based out of Ohio, however the units are built in  China.  The SmokinTex is also made in China but will cost you more for a comparable unit.  As for cookshack, we'll yes it is made in the USA, it is also triple the cost and the replacement parts are substantially higher.

The Smokin It is the best bang for the buck, the quality is tops, they are built like a tank and it will product comparable results as the competition. If you are questioning it, DON'T, it really is a no brainier, just order it, smoke with it, and you won't regret it.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Greenesway

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:56:33 AM »
Thanks guys,
I got an email from Steve and yes he confirmed your comments about being made in China.  While I love to buy things made in Great ole USA I also do not want to pay two or three times the price for an item that is the same quality or close to the same quality.  Now I have to decide which model to get?  I like the #3 but the #2 may serve my needs just fine and save me about half on shipping! Other than size, are there any advantages to going to the #3 vs buying the #2?  Also, I would like to get some of the accesseries like a digital probe, also the drip and the flavor savor pans look very nice if the original ones that come with the smoker are not the same, and then the smoker box chip insert?  I do like the whole "Smokin It" product line and without seeing one in person I just have to rely on the expertise of this forum!  Thanks for the quick reply and I am sure I  will be back for more advice!  Glad this forum is up and active!

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 01:04:29 PM »
Good to know!  I guess if you're going to be competitive these days, you have to go where the manufacturing is affordable.  Unfortunately, it's hard to find very much still built in the U.S.  Like I said, though, it doesn't matter to me where they're built; the build quality is great, and they work great!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Greenesway

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 02:03:12 PM »
OK, DONE DEAL!  We just clicked the button and ordered the #3 with a couple of extras!  They say we get a free cover so I hope that is still an option! We will update as things progress!  Thanks for the input!

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 03:14:42 PM »
Great decision, Greenesway!  If I had a "do-over," I'd have ordered the #3.  I like my #1, but I'm really limited on size.  I can fit 3 racks of baby backs in there (which I'm doing today), but pork butts and briskets are limited to one.  You can always cook less in a #3, but can't cook more in a #1!

Let us know when it arrives!
Tony from NW Arkansas

puddle jumper

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 11:25:16 PM »
Greenesway,
 Welcome to the family,,
You wont regret getting a Smokin it, I looked at all of them for a month watched all the you tube videos and read all I could find on all the smokers out there and ended up getting a #2 and loved it every day scenes I got it...
If you have not smoked on a electric there is a learning curve compaired to wood/charcoal smokers, but spend a little time on here reading and ask all the questions you want and we will help all we can...I think you will love not having to watch the smoker every min and getting great Q out of it...
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

Greenesway

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 11:05:25 AM »
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post!  I am glad I am not the only one who goes crazy researching my purchases!  I am an Engineer and I do R & D for a living so my wife is used to me going down this path all of the time!  I learned very quickly to seek out subject matter experts so I was glad to find this forum as there seems to be a lot of them here when it comes to smoke'n food and the "Smokin It Smokers"!  I warn all of you I WILL be back with bunch go questions!  Thanks for all of the advise and friendship!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 01:14:46 PM »
I have the #3 and love it.  The longer shelves are great if you like to keep your ribs in one piece and if you have to prep for a large crowd, you really have more flexibility with the extra capacity.  I also like the 1200 watt heating element because it heats up quickly and when you open the door, it gets back to the set temp in no time.  Enjoy, you won't be disappointed.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Etex

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 06:01:05 PM »
I chose the #3 because I called Steve and asked him which one would allow me to lay a full packer brisket in it.  He suggested the #3.  I put my first one on about 7 this morning.  It was about a  12 1/2 pounder.  It layed out completely with room on the sides.

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 04:18:03 PM »
Sorry to reply so late.  I know you got your answer from Steve, but I wanted to elaborate.  Steve has spent a lot of time and money trying to find a manufacturer to source from the USA.  We are hoping to have a couple of test units within the next few months.  If the quality is there and the price isn't astronomical then he hopes to produce a USA model in the future.  Depending on the outcome we may be able to do more domestic work.  As a Marine Corps Vet and the son of Detroit auto workers, I understand the value in building in America.  I also know that if you can't make money on a product then you won't have a product to sell.  So Steve will keep making sure that the quality of his products are above reproach, and I will keep producing dinner using Smokin-It products.  Thanks for all the support guys.

Thanks,
Ben
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

puddle jumper

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 07:21:40 PM »
I hope it's OK to post this guys,but here is a long thread from the beginning of the cooker,,,
it had a lot to do with why I purchased mine...
PJ

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/97559/smokin-it-smoker
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 07:57:33 PM »
Sorry to reply so late.  I know you got your answer from Steve, but I wanted to elaborate.  Steve has spent a lot of time and money trying to find a manufacturer to source from the USA.  We are hoping to have a couple of test units within the next few months.  If the quality is there and the price isn't astronomical then he hopes to produce a USA model in the future.  Depending on the outcome we may be able to do more domestic work.  As a Marine Corps Vet and the son of Detroit auto workers, I understand the value in building in America.  I also know that if you can't make money on a product then you won't have a product to sell.  So Steve will keep making sure that the quality of his products are above reproach, and I will keep producing dinner using Smokin-It products.  Thanks for all the support guys.

Thanks,
Ben

Thanks, Ben!  I, too, as a USAF veteran (9 years) and proud American, would like to see items I buy "made in the USA," but I also understand the reality of business and the world economy.  Unfortunately, many American manufacturers have priced themselves out of the world market, so I full understand Steve's dilemma; offer a great product that you can price right, control the quality on, and (hopefully) make a profit, so you can stay in business!

Like I said earlier, I don't really care where they are actually "built."  These are still the best bang for the buck in the smoker market, and I see nothing but a great future for Smokin-It!
Tony from NW Arkansas

puddle jumper

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
Thanks for your service Guys,,
I'm a double vet,,,
3 years in the Navy and another 7 in the Coast guard,,,
Puddle Jumper is what my old navy buddy's called me after I jumped off the big ships and on to the shallow water navy "CG",,,
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner