Poll

As a business owner, What would you do?

Refuse to refund the money.
5 (62.5%)
Partial refund even though nothing is salvageable.
1 (12.5%)
Refund money and take the hit for the cost of the product plus shipping.
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Customer Service  (Read 7417 times)

BHamel

• Administrator
Customer Service
« on: October 06, 2013, 09:59:10 PM »
We at Smokin-IT pride ourselves in our customer service.  As a small family owned operation we get a lot of our sales based off of the way we take care of our customers.  We know that it is not possible to make everyone happy and that is why we offer the warranty that we have.  If your not happy, we will try to do everything possible to resolve the issue at hand.  If we are not able to solve the issue we will refund your money when we receive the product back in the condition that we sent it.  The question that I am posing is as follows:

We sent a smoker to a customer in California (we are in the mid-west).
The customer was not happy with the smoker.
We tried to resolve his issue, but he made unreasonable demands of us.
The customer wanted us to send him a new Model #3 smoker, pay for shipping, and leave him with the old smoker.
He informed us that he bought a competitors smoker and wanted to return ours.
We sent him a return shipping label (we payed for the return) and asked him to repackage the smoker and return it in the condition we sent.  We are well aware that the smoker would be seasoned and even used, but expect it to be returned without scratches, dents or any physical damage.
The customer did not package the smoker and just had FedEx pick it up.
I have attached pictures of the way that we received the smoker and am now asking our customers what you think we should do.

Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

Canadian Fizz

Re: Customer Service
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 11:11:38 PM »
Sometimes you just can't please people. You tried everything in your power all you asked is for him to package it and send it back shipping paid I might add.
He didn't I think the onus was on him to protect it I would refuse compensation. Or just give a partial refund. You are not going to get a good word of mouth from him anyway.
 Just my 2 cents though.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 01:03:14 AM »
Well Ben, you folks did the right and honorable thing.  Unfortunately, it was not appreciated, and it shows in the lack of care this fellow took in packing and shipping. It would be interesting to see the unit unwrapped and I suspect it is good for parts only.  I am actually surprised FedEx accepted the smoker unprotected as it was.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 09:39:58 AM »
Wow.  I know it would be extra cost, but I think I would ship it back to him with these pictures enclosed for proof of what it looked like when it arrived.  I would attach a note stating why he is not getting a refund (as if it needs an explanation), and tell him he owns it.

If you gave this fellow a full refund, I suspect he'd still trash you every chance he gets.  Any reasonable person would know to repackage the unit in the box it was shipped in!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
The sad part is that we asked him to make sure it was repackaged properly and to send us pictures of the packaging so that we could make sure it would be covered by FedEx insurance.  Without being packaged properly FedEx won't insure the item shipped.

Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 11:29:22 AM »
Unbelievable!  I am sure the customer would have had a grievance had  you shipped to them in this fashion, without a box.  I am even surprised that the shipping company accepted the unit like this.  Unfortunatly you can't make everyone happy and for what it is worth it really is a tough call to refuse it as it is the cost of doing business.  Personally reputational risk can have a big impact on your business, but putting it on this post is a great idea.  Going forward, you may have to update your return policy (if it is not already there) about the condition of the returns and the compensation for any damage that the client is responsible for.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:47:16 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

es1025

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 02:39:06 PM »
Ben
I would refund the money because you don't want some fool messing with the smokin-it. Be the best customer service company regardless of size. Its unfortunate, I see the same type non-sense in the Telecom industry. Here is a thought for the future. You will receive a full refund less restock fee. I would also list returns and the potential restock fee in the terms and conditions of the web site.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 04:04:16 PM »
"Items must be in "new, unaltered and unused condition". Definition of new, unaltered and unused condition is: 'without showing signs of wear or damage in any way', within 30 calendar days of the delivery date. If an item is received damaged or is incorrectly shipped by us please contact Customer Service immediately. Refunds are contingent upon inspection of item(s) once we receive it."

I think this wording, directly from the returns section of the website, is pretty clear.  I read this before I ordered, and wasn't uncertain about the policy at all. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Etex

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
Ditto to what divot said.  I spent the first 20 years of my life in a family retail business and the  last 23 managing a retail service.  I stuck to the policy.  Being courteous even when I could not always have a satisfied customer.  When you deviate from your policy you open a box of problems that will not always close.  What he requested was unreasonable.  I had a small problem that was handled according to policy with great service.  Asking anything other than that borders on being unreasonable.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 05:48:15 PM »
I agree with Divot and would recommend that you follow your established policy, which is reasonable to me.   Given the policy, I don't see a refund in the customer's future....so, Ben, what did you decide?
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 07:53:20 PM »
I'm with Steve, Ben - can't wait to hear what you decided!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Bigumdaddyo

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 08:18:56 PM »
By the looks of the unit, it suggests to me they did not have the original shipping box. However, there is no excuse for the way it was returned. If the customer had any expectation of a full refund he should have requested a new shipping container.

FedEx should have refused to pickup the unit. I think FedEx is partially liable along with the customer.

My suggestion is that when a unit of this size and weight is being returned a new shipping box and label be sent to the customer.  That way there is no room for excuses.
Larry from WA
Smokin-it #3
Char-griller stick burner

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 08:48:53 PM »
I think that's way more than should be expected of a company, Larry.  I don't know about you, but I kept my shipping box until after I had used my smoker and knew I was going to keep it.  If this guy had pitched the box, he could have requested a new one from Steve before shipping it.  Remember, a box like that would cost a lot to ship to California - even empty.  What I would have done, had I needed to ship it and had discarded the box, is take it to the UPS Store and have them pack it!  I've shipped several high-value items like this (musical instruments) without a single problem!  You can insure the package, and UPS will stand behind it, too!

Bottom line, here, is this guy was pissed-off and just threw the thing on the truck.  I'm sure he didn't foresee FedEx throwing it out the back of the truck (that's what it looks like), but should have considered it might get damaged.  He's due nothing, and rightfully so.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Bigumdaddyo

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 10:33:56 PM »
I am not saying the customer deserves a refund of any kind. I am trying to make some sense out of his actions.  There is no excuse for what he did. I would have to say that a replacement is rare and sending a new box (upon request) is added insurance.

I will tell you that there was a problem with my first unit and Steve sent me a replacement. Yes, I kept my original box and took the best of both shipping containers and shipped back the best of both.
Larry from WA
Smokin-it #3
Char-griller stick burner

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 10:46:08 PM »
My point, exactly, Larry!  If you have a problem, you communicate and then do what any "reasonable person" would do; you ship back the defective unit, with care, expecting the company to ship a replacement - with care!  There is responsibility on BOTH sides!  Customer service is about satisfying the customer, but this is obviously a customer that doesn't care about HIS responsibility in the transaction.  He was simply trying to get something for free, and was mad when it didn't happen.  Shame on him!
Tony from NW Arkansas