Author Topic: Thighs cook time?  (Read 1774 times)

will615

Thighs cook time?
« on: January 04, 2021, 04:44:11 PM »
I'm smoking 4 breasts, skin on at 225.My goal is an IT of 165-170 degrees as I will finish them on the grill. What would you expect the cook time to be? I looked at my notes and it ranged from 1-2.5 hours which seems very strange. I know that thighs are very forgiving. There were no extreme outside temps involved in my past cooks. Thanks
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

OldeSmoker

Re: Thighs cook time?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 05:04:25 PM »
170 is a pretty high temp for your chicken breast. I typically don’t cook them past 160 or they will get dry very quickly. When finishing on the grill I smoke them to 155 and check them on the grill with my instant read thermometer. You are right about the thighs, they are much more forgiving. You can safely cook the thighs to 165-170 and they will be moist. I insert the probe into the thickest part of the largest thigh and cook to temp. rather than time. I imagine the time listed in the guide is based on the size of the chicken parts. Enjoy and  have a good cook.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

will615

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 06:05:33 PM »
Thanks Paul. I meant to say thighs, not breasts.
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

will615

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 09:08:57 PM »
The rest of the story... After 1.25 hrs, all of the thighs were in the 160's. I moved them to the gas grill on high for 15 minutes flipping them every 5 minutes. They were excellent. Thighs will make you look like a better cook than you are!
Will, Nashville, TN

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 09:41:01 AM »
Glad they turned out well! That’s how i like to finish yardbird as well, smoke and then gasser to crisp up that skin!

What did you rub with?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 11:01:25 AM »
Maybe the 2.5 hours was a typo in your notes, my experience with thighs is a smoke time in the 1-1.5 hour range.   Sounds like the thighs turned out well!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

OldeSmoker

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 11:05:04 AM »
Happy to hear they turned out great. Makes me want to go smoke some thighs.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger