Author Topic: Foil placement  (Read 1965 times)

danthegrillman

Foil placement
« on: January 04, 2021, 04:37:13 PM »
Hello everyone,

Happy owner of a model 2, my cousin had one, I borrowed it, fell in love, got one for xmas.

Did ribs today, and forgot a couple steps that I'll be sure not to do again that were in the lazy-q booklet. One being water pan. Two, I didn't foil the lid of the smoke box. Just to be clear on this, the lid is to top, correct? The outside top of the smoker that has the temp knob and the air hole? What does this do? Does it affect the temp? It's pretty cold out here (30F) so I want to make sure it's all good.

Thank you.

- Dan

OldeSmoker

Re: Foil placement
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 05:16:36 PM »
Hello everyone,

Happy owner of a model 2, my cousin had one, I borrowed it, fell in love, got one for xmas.

Did ribs today, and forgot a couple steps that I'll be sure not to do again that were in the lazy-q booklet. One being water pan. Two, I didn't foil the lid of the smoke box. Just to be clear on this, the lid is to top, correct? The outside top of the smoker that has the temp knob and the air hole? What does this do? Does it affect the temp? It's pretty cold out here (30F) so I want to make sure it's all good.

Thank you.

- Dan

Welcome from SW Missouri Dan.

It is a good idea to foil the top of the wood box and the bottom of the smoker to simplify clean up. The drippings from the meat will burn on the top of the wood box and make clean up very difficult. When placing foil on the floor of the smoker be sure and punch a hole in the foil where the drip hole is so the drippings can drain into the drip pan.

The hole on top is the “smoke stack” so to speak. Where the smoke escapes. The bottom hole for the drip pan is also your air intake. Smoking in 30 degree weather is no problem for a Smokin-It. They are so well insulated maintaining temp at much lower outdoor temps is not an issue.

Enjoy that new smoker!
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

colecp

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 05:52:44 PM »
Further clarification, you do not need to foil the top of the smoker box itself, where the temp knob and air hole (smokestack) is. Like Oldesmoker said, just the interior bottom and the lid of the removable smoker box that you put wood in.
Chris Cole
Winnsboro SC

danthegrillman

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 10:09:46 AM »
Ohhhhh! Smoke box, duh, I literally took that wording as the smoker since it's a box shape. Yeah, I did that as well as line the bottom.

Thanks for the welcome, I'm from upstate NY. Looking forward to using the smoker more. The other smoker that I had used for 20 years was a New Braunfels.

I loved it but it required a lot of tending, which is fine if you want to sit next to it and drink beer all day. So using this one will take some getting used to, but I really love it so far.

Thanks for the prompt reply, I appreciate the assistance.

colecp

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 10:10:05 PM »
Your new smoker also requires strict monitoring with an ample supply of beer. Mine does at least!
Chris Cole
Winnsboro SC

danthegrillman

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 08:53:22 AM »
HAHA noted! Going to try some wings in it today for the Buffalo game. GO BILLS!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 11:04:18 AM »
Ohhhhh! Smoke box, duh, I literally took that wording as the smoker since it's a box shape. Yeah, I did that as well as line the bottom.

Thanks for the welcome, I'm from upstate NY. Looking forward to using the smoker more. The other smoker that I had used for 20 years was a New Braunfels.

I loved it but it required a lot of tending, which is fine if you want to sit next to it and drink beer all day. So using this one will take some getting used to, but I really love it so far.

Thanks for the prompt reply, I appreciate the assistance.

I believe your questions have been answered.
That is a dead ringer for the old offset I had (Brinkman smoke -n- pit pro). Great smoker but the mandatory feeding of fuel did get wearisome after a while. I got a lot of great food from that over the years (95-2012). 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus