Author Topic: alternate method of cooking steaks  (Read 3529 times)

icebob

alternate method of cooking steaks
« on: January 19, 2016, 08:36:18 PM »
A couple years ago, on the Primo ceramic cooker forum, I end up on a thread about reverse searing that was linking to this"
http://www.bbqsuccess.com/reverse-sear-steak/

Once I tried this, there was no coming back.... until I tried "sous Vide" so far I've try it twice with a rib eye and holy molly.... I tried it with the torch finishing method.  and the ceramic cooker at 900f+ and all I can say is" hold on to your hats brothers, you're in for a game changer.....
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:47:02 AM by icebob »
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: alternate method of cooking steaks
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 08:54:58 PM »
Oh, the "reverse sear" method is powerful, Bob!  I started using it about 7 or 8 years ago, when I was researching the best way to cook prime rib (before I had a dedicated smoker).  I came across a great article on reverse-searing, and I was hooked!  First one (in the oven, at that time) was great, and I've moved that over to the smoker.  I am seriously considering a sous vide circulator, just for this reason for things like steaks.  Not meaning to brag, but I believe I can grill a steak about as good as anyone, but I'm intrigued by the sous vide thing!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

icebob

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 10:04:19 PM »
wait till you try sous vide...i can put the steaks in at like 3:00pm and forget about it till supper time... so far a torch was the best for the finish touch.. this is the perfect reverse searing method... can't wait to try it with a dry aged rib eye...
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 07:46:32 PM »
Thanks a lot, Bob....now I'm gonna have to explain another new cooking device to my wife! :o   
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

icebob

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 07:50:14 AM »
Bob from Cahokia, IL

Limey

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 03:59:39 PM »
+1 on the Anova. Well made, good materials and simple to use.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
Thanks, Bob.  You read my mind.  I was just thinking that I want to smoke a steak and then reverse sear.  I usually buy 1 1/2 to 2 inch thick steaks and grill them to med. rare.  I can't wait to try this.  How much wood did you use?
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 07:29:35 PM »
Susie, if you smoke your steak, do it at no higher than 190 for the smoke part, and don't go past about 110 for med-rare.  If you take a steak higher than that (120's), the sear will overcook it (unless you use Bob's blow torch method).  If you finish on the grill, give it some room to cook a bit more.  2 oz of wood should be plenty for the short climb to 110.
Tony from NW Arkansas

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 10:41:57 AM »
Tony, this would be helpful information to add to the Auber programs profile that you provided.  I have made a notebook for my smoking recipes and placed the sheet of the basic Auber programs on the front.  I know there are individual recipes that members have described in detail, but for me it helps to have an outline of the basic categories all together on 1 or 2 pages.  I'd like to see more on smaller smokes like sausage, turkey breast, lamb chops, etc.  However, in the meantime, I'm filling my recipe notebook with many of the individual recipes contributed by members and "having a blast."
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 08:41:10 PM »
Thanks, Susie.  I'll work on that...
Tony from NW Arkansas