Author Topic: "Smokinlicious.com" wood  (Read 70826 times)

Gary

• Newbie in terms of actual smoking experience/
Re: "Smokinlicious.com" wood
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2015, 07:56:47 PM »
You guys have me sold on chunks instead of pellets and Smokinlicious seems ideal. Have two questions:
With a SM 1 will one piece of wood do it for a three hour chicken smoke?
How long would you soak the wood before using it?

OK, so its three: Do you recommend cutting the chunks in two or will I get an acceptable result with 1?

Thanks for all your help.

Gary J. Groman
a.k.a. The Ole Seagull

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise,
let your mind dwell on these things." (Philippians 4:8)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2015, 08:38:04 PM »
Gary, you still need to use a scale and weigh your wood.  One chunk of smokinlicious can vary from 3 - 6 oz!  You'll still need to split the double-filet chunks sometimes.  You should be at about 3 oz on a whole chicken.  Weigh your wood!

You DO NOT need to "soak" this wood!!  It already has a great moisture content for smoking.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Bebe

« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2015, 10:40:22 PM »
You'll still need to split the double-filet chunks sometimes.
I have brand new, unopened box, of blocks (cherry and sugar maple, if i remember correctly).. I guess i'll have to dig out my chop saw :)
Pete
Brooklyn, NY

smokeasaurus

« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2015, 11:08:46 PM »
also keep in mind that poultry is a "sponge" for smoke..a little wood goes a long way........
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

Gary

• Newbie in terms of actual smoking experience/
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2015, 11:38:19 PM »
You guys are great! Thank you so much. I will be ordering tomorrow.
Gary J. Groman
a.k.a. The Ole Seagull

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise,
let your mind dwell on these things." (Philippians 4:8)

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2015, 02:02:29 AM »
You'll still need to split the double-filet chunks sometimes.
I have brand new, unopened box, of blocks (cherry and sugar maple, if i remember correctly).. I guess i'll have to dig out my chop saw :)

Hey Pete, they put a green stamp on the box flaps that tell you which wood is what.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Bebe

« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2015, 09:03:15 AM »
Thanks Bill, i did not know that.. I know maple turns gray after a while.
I have another box of cherry, i bought it around Christmas and and i still have a few blocks left. I guess i'm good for a while...
For the past few years i used almost exclusively cherry and apple chunks, mostly from Lowes or Home Depot.. not the best quality but good enough for Webers... i understand SI works a bit different, i'm sure i'll mess up a bit 'til i get the hang of it (eg. i never weighted the wood before not did i put the meat in a cold smoker). I'll do some ribs today, keep my fingers crossed :)
Pete
Brooklyn, NY

Donmac

« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2015, 10:22:17 AM »
I received my single filet mixture of Hickory/Sugar Maple/Wild Cherry and 4 sample chunks each of Red Oak/White Oak from Smokinlisious yesterday and I am impressed with the quality!
Nicest looking wood I have used so far, now to decide what to throw in the smoker for a meal this afternoon :)

Don from New Hampshire, 3D & #1 Owner

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2015, 10:28:52 AM »
+1!   I have a box of cherry and hickory from smokilicious and have tried both in the smoker.  Excellent wood, the best I have used after trying other suppliers.   I think these guys will be my 'go to' supplier from here out.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

elkins20

« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2015, 07:12:14 PM »
Thanks Bill, i did not know that.. I know maple turns gray after a while.
I have another box of cherry, i bought it around Christmas and and i still have a few blocks left. I guess i'm good for a while...
For the past few years i used almost exclusively cherry and apple chunks, mostly from Lowes or Home Depot.. not the best quality but good enough for Webers... i understand SI works a bit different, i'm sure i'll mess up a bit 'til i get the hang of it (eg. i never weighted the wood before not did i put the meat in a cold smoker). I'll do some ribs today, keep my fingers crossed :)

Hey Pete make sure you get a scale to weigh the wood on. I have a small one and someone else suggested getting a postal scale from office max or office depot. I did check that site out and wished I had that scale as has a good size surface and can also weigh meat. And you can weigh in either grams or oz. which would help if you are doing a brine mixture. Good luck on the ribs, I check mine at 4.5 with a toothpick for doneness.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Bebe

« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2015, 08:05:03 PM »
i do have a few scales (sometimes i make sausages, a good scale(s) is a must)... For kitchen we mostly use an iBalance (not sure if this model but looks exactly the same, 5#)
Today i bought a Splitting Ax, i think will come handy since i have a truck load of blocks...

Ribs came out ok, picture perfect looking but underdone - 3-2-1 at 235. Bride love them (she'll eat raw if she could). I had to cook for another 40 min or so to my liking.... funny, today they taste better than yesterday, can not explain it.
I guess i'll need to practice more, like 2ice a week :)
Pete
Brooklyn, NY

elkins20

« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2015, 10:25:01 PM »
Hey Pete a couple of suggestions on the ribs, next time do your prep. And when you place in the smoker, leave them for 4.5 hrs. then check to see if they are done. When you can insert a tooth pick like a knife going into warm butter they are done. Pull them and wrap in foil and a towel and place in a cooler for about 30 to 1 hr. I think you will enjoy them. This is how I do my ribs. Also so if you wish to add sauce you can and then let them stay in the smoker an additional 30 min.

smokeasaurus

« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2015, 10:30:59 AM »
Ribs seem to take a bit longer in electric smokers.......I run mine at 250 and watch for pull back and then lets get those bones cleaned 8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

grogorat

« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2015, 02:28:56 PM »
Hello everyone,
Newbie smoker here, just joined this forum yesterday and my #2 should be here by Saturday. Can't wait to start smoking!
What's the difference between single filet and double filet wood chunks?
Gary from Houston
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2015, 02:36:13 PM »
Gary,

The Single Filet results in wood pieces that are approximately 3"x4" in width with a length 4". The Double Filet produces wood pieces that are approximately 2"X2" in width and height, with a length of 3".

Greg