Author Topic: Best thermometer for reading IT?  (Read 4099 times)

Nolenut

Best thermometer for reading IT?
« on: January 19, 2017, 08:31:41 PM »
Any suggestions on IT thermometers?
Rick
Draw Em In Outdoors

SmokedGouda

Re: Best thermometer for reading IT?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 09:43:23 PM »
I'm new to this and I'm sure there are better, more advanced ones, but I use a Maverick. It's not pricey and it's very easy to use and does the job well. The transmitter has room for 2 thermometers. I got an extra meat thermometer with mine so I can have probes in 2 pieces of meat in there and just swap out the smoker temp one if needed.
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Model 2. Cold smoke plate. Jerky dryer.
Maverick ET-732

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 11:07:18 PM »
Steve sells the Maverick thermometers on the website. They are very popular and a good value.  If you have the means ($), Thermoworks has some real dandy thermometers. I have the ThermaQ. Bought it during their open box sale complete with probes.  I like it a lot. Their Smoke unit is wireless.  I also use their Thermapen. DivotMaker (Tony) has been testing a unit called Fireboard which allows for using multiple probes. I have included a link to the posts. And then there is "The Meater", appropriately named.  It is still being fine tuned and you can read about it at the provided link.
http://www.thermoworks.com/BBQ-Grilling
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=5544.0
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4163.0
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 01:46:10 AM »
I have a Maverick, which is the old reliable for BBQ. If I were buying one now, I would buy one that has WiFi, an App, and multiple probe ports (4 or more would be good). Something like Fireboard or Tappecue. Neither of those are particularly attractive to look at, but function over form I suppose. Loki is a cool looking one. There are lots of these coming out onto the market now. People on the forum can probably suggest more. I have backed Meater, and am hoping to get the Meater Block sometime this year LOL ;)
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JustChillin

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 07:04:39 AM »
I have relied on Thermoworks products for years with good success and reliability.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Nolenut

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 07:51:31 AM »
Thanks for the info! I will definitely check them out.
Rick
Draw Em In Outdoors

Grampy

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 10:53:30 AM »
I use a Chef Alarm and Thermo Pop from Thermoworks.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 01:00:43 PM »
I had been using the Maverick for a number of years, but a few months ago I bought the Thermoworks SMOKE unit.   The probes are more sturdy than the Maverick probes and I have had good success with it.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 10:09:21 PM »
I continue to be impressed with the Fireboard.  Pretty sure Steve is going to be offering them soon.  BTW, I don't buy/use a thermo because it looks "cool," I buy it because it works!  ;)   Absolutely, function over form!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!