Author Topic: Anyone tried 6 butts in a 3D?  (Read 1844 times)

jpowell

• facebook
Anyone tried 6 butts in a 3D?
« on: June 30, 2018, 03:46:25 PM »
I've done 4 butts several times now, but I'm getting asked to do larger events meaning I'd really like to do 6 butts. I did move the internal probe higher which gave me more room, but I'm leery trying to squeeze in 3 racks (2 butts each) and that lower rack is going to be so dang close to the firebox. Thoughts?
I have done some larger events where I just make the meat ahead of time, seal and slap in the fridge while another batch of butts going in to smoke ... but it's extra effort which is against the lazyQ motto ;-)
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone tried 6 butts in a 3D?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 07:07:25 PM »
I've done 4 butts several times now, but I'm getting asked to do larger events meaning I'd really like to do 6 butts. I did move the internal probe higher which gave me more room, but I'm leery trying to squeeze in 3 racks (2 butts each) and that lower rack is going to be so dang close to the firebox. Thoughts?
I have done some larger events where I just make the meat ahead of time, seal and slap in the fridge while another batch of butts going in to smoke ... but it's extra effort which is against the lazyQ motto ;-)

My first "thought" was this is a good time to justify a model 4. Seriously  doing a couple ahead of time and storing is not a bad idea at all. Having to open the smoker and moving meat around would indeed be a hassle. One of our members did 6 turkeys in the model 4D and posted it on youtube. But 6 butts, though smaller, in a 3 could be pushing it.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 07:18:55 PM »
Yeah, I've been pondering a larger unit or even a 2nd 3 if I could find one used. I don't see the 4's for sale anymore, so maybe they are phased out since the 3.5 and 5 are around? I don't really have $ for something new though either.
Jason
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 10:35:44 PM »
When an item is out of stock, Steve pulls it from the site till it comes back in rather than showing it as temporarily out of stock.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 02:25:03 PM »
I have a Analog #3, I do not drink the digital Kool-Aid. I have often done four large butts esly with good results. While you could likely squeeze in six smaller butts are you really gaining anything? Huge butts will retain more moisture than smaller butts.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 08:13:24 PM »
Sorry, let me clarify. I only do 10+ lbs butts when possible. So I'm talking about 6 10lb butts in the 3D ;-)
Jason
>IT Guy
>Far Northern Indiana