Author Topic: First smoke in the 3D WiFi  (Read 4917 times)

LandToSea

• 3D WiFi owner
First smoke in the 3D WiFi
« on: June 18, 2018, 10:02:09 AM »
I wanted to make the most of it and try a few things that I could smoke concurrently. 6lb point for burnt ends, 5lb butt for pulled pork, 4.5lb spatchcocked chicken seared in the cast iron post smoker as a backup in case the others were not ready on time. Luckily I threw in the chicken because the pulled pork took much longer than expected for as small as it was. Everything was good, but a little bitter. Maybe it was the wood? I like moderate to heavy smoke and found the brisket to be somewhat mild and the butt was moderate.

The controller worked great. It had a temporary glitch, but picked the data back up after exiting and opening it back up. It is very convenient and worth the $!

I lined the smoker box and the bottom and and tray but managed to still get a bunch of mess in the bottom of the smoker. Next time I will double line it. I think I will look for disposable aluminum trays for the drain catch instead of bothering with lining the supplied pan. One less thing to clean would have been appreciated part night at 11p 🙄
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 04:01:00 PM by LandToSea »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: First smoke in the 3D WiFi
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 04:01:21 PM »
Bitterness could be from too much wood or poor quality wood or combustion.   Butts take time and for some odd reason larger butts finish quicker.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 02:09:55 PM »
That chicken looks great! Love the searing on the cast iron to finish it up! The pork and burnt ends look good as well!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

LandToSea

• 3D WiFi owner
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 09:35:46 AM »
Bitterness could be from too much wood or poor quality wood or combustion.   Butts take time and for some odd reason larger butts finish quicker.

I used the leftover break-in wood shipped with the smoker since I hadn't received my order for wood yet. What would cause poor combustion?

I have read that about butts and yes it is weird!

LandToSea

• 3D WiFi owner
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »
That chicken looks great! Love the searing on the cast iron to finish it up! The pork and burnt ends look good as well!

Thanks, the cast iron attempt to crisp it up didn't work as well as hoped. The skin was still rubbery and it actually got soggy from all of the steam from frying it. Maybe it was my temp or time on the pan sear. IDK... Next time I will just stick to over broiler since that has worked for turkeys for me in the past.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 01:17:48 AM »
Even when lining the bottom with foil, you will still have grease get underneath. It just won't be all crusted and burnt on. The foil catches most of it. Buy the heaviest foil you can find. I just wipe out the bottom with paper towels. No need to wash or get it perfectly clean. I don't clean out my smoker until the next day. I want to enjoy the moment.

I'm not sure if an aluminum pan would be sturdy enough for the drip pan under the smoker. You'd have a mess if it buckled or collapsed.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DixonM

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 10:42:15 AM »
When I am done doing a cook in the smoker I pull all the foil out unplug the smoker and take a few cups of hot water from the microwave and pour it on the floor of the smoker and then wipe it down with paper towels. The floor still looks decent.