Author Topic: How do I remove the power cord?  (Read 2434 times)

ArsenalFan

How do I remove the power cord?
« on: March 24, 2018, 08:34:06 AM »
I went to start up my smoker a couple months ago, flipped the switch, and nothing...no lights, no heat, nothing. I'm not an electrical person at all so I don't know how to troubleshoot electrical issues. A friend of mine can over and narrowed the problem to a bad power cord, and I have a new one to replace it with...but I don't know how to remove the old power cord...anyone know how? There is a plastic piece that fits around the cord to create a seal where the cord enters the box, but for the life.of me I can't figure out how to get the cord out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ben
Solon, OH
Smokin-It #3D
MES30 (using as cold-smoker...nevermind, fixed)
MES40 (currently used as a re-wiring project)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: How do I remove the power cord?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 09:55:54 AM »
I have an older version but you can take the back cover off of the smoker and you will have access to the connections for the power cord. This assumes that the power cord is the same on the new versions.....I think it is.  :) Good luck.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 10:11:48 AM »
I have an older version but you can take the back cover off of the smoker and you will have access to the connections for the power cord. This assumes that the power cord is the same on the new versions.....I think it is.  :) Good luck.
Sounds like he has taken the back off and can't figure out how to get the retainer clip off, it's a hard plastic bushing that holds the cord solidly in place.  I know that I'd probably end up breaking it trying to get it out and have to use a new one when reassembling it.  I believe it is a pinch clip but have never messed with mine.  On the D models, does the cord go directly to the element or the back of the controller?  I would be very surprised if the problem was actually the cord and not a connection. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 12:14:05 PM »
Dave, I agree and it is probably a pinch clip now that you mention it.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 12:17:13 PM »
Ben - See this link.  Some of the photos might be of help.  And Steve is only an email or phone call away:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=6713.0
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

ArsenalFan

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 01:03:58 PM »
Sounds like he has taken the back off and can't figure out how to get the retainer clip off, it's a hard plastic bushing that holds the cord solidly in place.  I know that I'd probably end up breaking it trying to get it out and have to use a new one when reassembling it.  I believe it is a pinch clip but have never messed with mine.  On the D models, does the cord go directly to the element or the back of the controller?  I would be very surprised if the problem was actually the cord and not a connection.

Yes, I've taken the back off already, and it is a black plastic piece that I can't figure out what to do to get the power cord off.  I'm attaching a picture so you can see...it's not the best picture of the plastic piece, but at least you can see part of it.

And yes, it was the power cord.  We did continuity tests for each of the wires on the cord, and one of the wires failed.  Interestingly, as you can see in the photo, the two non-ground wires of the power cord have shrink wrap around them once they enter the box - which is weird - but I think this is probably where the problem with the continuity of the power cord is (I haven't taken off the shrink wrap yet to verify, but there isn't any other cuts in the cord).  I'm curious if this is "typical" for the assembly for all of the smokers.  Also during our testing, we found that two of the spade completely fell off from the wire to which they were supposed to be attached, which means that crimping on the spade to the wire was not very good.
Ben
Solon, OH
Smokin-It #3D
MES30 (using as cold-smoker...nevermind, fixed)
MES40 (currently used as a re-wiring project)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 01:13:51 PM »
The shrink wrap is at the transition from conventional wiring to high temp wiring.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus