Author Topic: Going BIG on my first smoke  (Read 4554 times)

Danmisuraca

Going BIG on my first smoke
« on: May 27, 2014, 03:20:02 PM »
Hi all
Me and the wife just moved into our first home and she got me a smokin it #3 for a a housewarming gift. We'll this weekend is our big housewarming party and my 40th bday so I wanted to go BIG with the meal. I have ( 4)7 lbs boston butts for pulled pork and (2)5 lbs  briskests that I'm going to slice. What my major concern is smoking time with a full box. Do you think 20 hours at 250 will be enough time? After that's done I'm throwing in the bacon wrapped chicken thighs and ribs. Any help on my timing would be greatly appreciated. Hate to disappoint 50 people with no food.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Going BIG on my first smoke
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 04:08:01 PM »
WOW, now that's a load!    I always plan 2hrs/lb for boston butts, so that puts you in the 14 hour range for the first leg.  If are following this immediately with chicken/ribs, then that's another 3+ hours for chicken and 5+ for ribs.  Assuming you were doing the chicken and ribs together, you still need at least 5 hours, which would put you are a possible total  time needed of 19 hours (14 for the first leg, 5 for the second).   I think you can get'er done in 20 hours, but you still might want to allow extra time to get the butts/brisket done earlier, re-load the smoker with wood (perhaps allowing so cool down time), and then re-load with the chicken/ribs.

Good luck...sounds like a lot of good eats!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 04:09:13 PM »
One more thing, I just noticed that this is going to be your first smoke!   Might want to do a dry run on something quick (like the chicken or ribs) just to have a first smoke under your belt to see how the #3 behaves.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Walt

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 04:47:08 PM »
The brisket should be done @ 225 in 7.5 - 8hrs, shoulder 10.5 to 14 hours, ribs 5 to 6 hours, chicken 3.5 to 4.5.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Danmisuraca

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 05:10:18 PM »
Thanks guys for the replies. I'm doing a butt tonight to see how the 3 runs.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 05:57:09 PM »
Good idea, but keep in mind that the cook time can vary from one BB to another.   Nevertheless, I think you will benefit from a dry run...and if you have a food sealer, you could always tuck it away for the big event.   Good luck!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 07:07:52 PM »
Going MASSIVE is more like it!  You mentioned 250...I'd recommend 225-235 for the butts and brisket (preferably 225) - low and slow is the key to those cuts!  Chicken @ 250, ribs @ 235-240.  I agree with everyone on the times.  One thing to remember:  You will have a LOT of drippings with 4 butts and 2 briskets (and I mean A LOT!).  Be prepared to change out your drip pan and keep an eye on it during the smoke.  Also, before you reload with chicken and/or ribs, I let it cool with the door open for about an hour, then re-foil the bottom and smoke box lid, and start the process over.  Better results with a cold smoker and cold meat, plus you don't want to burn yourself on the hot smoke box!

The butt tonight should give you a good indication of performance.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Danmisuraca

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 07:28:58 PM »
Going MASSIVE is more like it!  You mentioned 250...I'd recommend 225-235 for the butts and brisket (preferably 225) - low and slow is the key to those cuts!  Chicken @ 250, ribs @ 235-240.  I agree with everyone on the times.  One thing to remember:  You will have a LOT of drippings with 4 butts and 2 briskets (and I mean A LOT!).  Be prepared to change out your drip pan and keep an eye on it during the smoke.  Also, before you reload with chicken and/or ribs, I let it cool with the door open for about an hour, then re-foil the bottom and smoke box lid, and start the process over.  Better results with a cold smoker and cold meat, plus you don't want to burn yourself on the hot smoke box!

The butt tonight should give you a good indication of performance.
thanks divot. I was thinking 250 because the smoker will be loaded with 36lbs of meat. Do you think I will be good to go at 235? I'm thinking of putting the BB and brisket in Friday at 6pm in hopes it will be done by noon on Saturday. Do you think that would be good?

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 08:20:56 PM »
Yep, lower temp will be fine.  It'll take the smoker a little longer to get to temp, but it will stabilize as the meat warms.  Your briskets will cook faster than the butts, so I'd put them on the shelf above the butts.  Let the 4 butts shield them a bit.  At 2 hours per pound, your butts should be done somewhere mid-morning.  It is possible they'll be done sooner, so keep that in mind.  I've smoked a lot of butts that only took barely 1 hour per pound.  They may surprise you, so be prepared.  They may also take the full 18 hours you have in mind - you just never know!  Every piece of meat has its own agenda, and doesn't let us know until it's time! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Danmisuraca

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 08:31:10 PM »
Yep, lower temp will be fine.  It'll take the smoker a little longer to get to temp, but it will stabilize as the meat warms.  Your briskets will cook faster than the butts, so I'd put them on the shelf above the butts.  Let the 4 butts shield them a bit.  At 2 hours per pound, your butts should be done somewhere mid-morning.  It is possible they'll be done sooner, so keep that in mind.  I've smoked a lot of butts that only took barely 1 hour per pound.  They may surprise you, so be prepared.  They may also take the full 18 hours you have in mind - you just never know!  Every piece of meat has its own agenda, and doesn't let us know until it's time! ;)
Thanks divot. I feel better about starting at 6pm. I have a couple mavericks and using an auber unit so I will know all the temps. Thanks a lot sir

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 10:21:17 PM »
Should be an epic smoke - one for the books!  Be sure to get some pics of the mighty event - we love pics around here! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas