Author Topic: Newbie's first time smoking whole chickens...  (Read 10417 times)

jumperanger

Newbie's first time smoking whole chickens...
« on: May 20, 2014, 06:31:50 PM »
Hi all.. Jumper here.

I have been smoking for 10 years. I own a Traeger grill and wanted to purchase a new smoker. So I did my research, ended up with the top three, and chose the Smokin-It #3. Nice looking unit, well built. I did the breaking in step for four hours with two pieces of oak wood that I received from the company. The next day I was so excited I bought three whole chickens, washed them, seasoned them up, put three pieces of hickory wood (I even purchased the Amber PID controller) and set the temperature at 225 and the internal temp for 165. They cooked for about three hours and then the alarm went off on the controller...

When I took the chicken out they had a dark color to them, and looked over-smoked. Any advice??

Thank you.

mnsmoker

Re: Newbie's first time smoking whole chickens...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 06:50:13 PM »
The real question how did they taste.? I have found smoke tends to collect on the skin easily. I have done 4 chickens numerous times I use about 3 ounces of wood, if the skin appears to over smoked you could just discard as long as your flavor is there. Next time try about half the wood as see if that helps, the fun part is the experimenting with these smokers, good luck !!!
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 07:43:21 PM »
Hi Jumper, and welcome to the party!  We're glad you're here!  Jim's right about the amount of wood.  Most people with a smoker background in "traditional" smokers have a little more difficult time adjusting to just how little wood these smokers need!  When you tell someone with a pellet grill, or stick burner of some sort, to start thinking in mere "ounces," it's hard to believe!  If you don't have a digital kitchen scale, I recommend getting one - it really helps!

I find about 2 oz is plenty for poultry.  If you put 3 of the hickory dowels in (that came with the smoker), you probably had 4-6 oz of wood; way too much for chicken.  That would have been good for a pork butt, though!

You'll learn about the "less is more" theory on wood with your new #3!  Hard to believe, but true. 

Best of luck, and let us know how we can help!  Oh, and btw, we like pics of good Q around here! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jumperanger

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:17:23 AM »
Thank you for the advice and warm welcome. The taste was okay. I did taste the smoke, but not too much of the seasoning, probably because I used it sparingly. I did use the three dowels of wood so I will take your "less is more" advice!  :D Thanks again!!

P.S. - Next time I will post a picture.. I plan on smoking a pork butt soon so I will let you know how it turns out with a pic!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 07:43:35 PM »
Sounds good, Jumper!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Thin Blue

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 11:52:45 AM »
I smoked 4 chickens, about 5#ea, over the weekend. I have the SI 3 and an Auber.
Used Famous Dave's Chicken Rub.
Smoked at 225d until 165d. I used two chunks of Hickory, about 4oz.
The chickens looked plain ugly, black wet look. Taste, not bad, bit bitter.
I am thinking higher temp, maybe 250d next time and half of the Hickory.

What's the thoughts out there? Jumperanger? DivotMaker? Mnsmoker?

By the By, the Auber is fantastic. Did not Auto Tune, held smoker temps +- 2d. Awesome.

Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »
I think your plan for next time is good.

2 ounces of hickory and crank that Auber up to 250.

If you have the stock controller bypassed, I would even try to run it at 275.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Thin Blue

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 01:15:21 PM »
I bypassed the stock controller, forgot to mention.

I will give 275d a try next time.

Thank you Gregg

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 06:59:11 PM »
Personally I wouldn't use more than two ounces for chicken.  Anything more will be too much for my liking. If you like crispy skin, you will have to finish by broiling near the end in the oven.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

rickne

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 10:12:44 AM »
I'm with Smokster.  1.5-2 oz of wood for chicken and I only use Apple or Pecan (or other lighter woods).

I still haven't gotten good crispy skin on my chicken.  It's always rubbery and discarded.  But the chicken is really good.  I usually end up pulling it into big chunks (carving it with my hands).

I have a bypass and an auber.  My next smoke will look like this...

1hr at 200 degrees then the balance at 275-300 degrees.

If that doesn't crisp it up, I will try 280 degrees for the entire cook and try to keep my wood from flaming up.

If that doesn't work, I'm going chicken parts and finishing them on the grill.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

mnsmoker

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 04:34:08 PM »
Ive had good luck on chickens, light smoke, 250 for a few hours, I don't weigh my wood but I'm guessing 3-4 ounces or less. I go by the look on the skin the first few times it was way to dark so I cut back until it was more golden, and I brine over night maybe 12 hours.
Jim from Minnesota

Thin Blue

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 10:39:38 PM »
MN, are you using an Auber?

mnsmoker

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 02:23:07 PM »
I do use an auber but even before had good results on chicken, experiment with the amount of wood you use I sometimes still have to check myself as I want to use about twice what I really need.
Jim from Minnesota

Thin Blue

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 05:13:23 PM »
Thanks, don't mean to take away from Jumper, but I was having the same results smoking whole chickens he was having.

Will try chickens again some time at higher cooker temp and a lot less wood, may even try brine.

Thanks all,

Big Fish

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 03:39:56 AM »
I almost always brine poultry - in the oven, grill, or smoke. They come out so juicy. I have some photos somewhere. I'll up them when I find them.