Author Topic: New #3 and need some opinions  (Read 3399 times)

Vince

New #3 and need some opinions
« on: April 11, 2014, 09:06:04 AM »
I just received my #3 and noticed that the door will not close completly until it is actually latched. You can close it to within about 2 1/2 inches of the right side & then have to use preasure with the two locks to close it completly. I am seasoning it now and there is some smoke (not Much) coming from the top of the door on the right side. Is this normal?

GeeBee

Re: New #3 and need some opinions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 09:20:49 AM »
Vince,
Absolutely. First congrats on your purchase, and second, welcome to the forum. The way these smokers are designed, the door seals by compression. My #2 is the same way. You close the door almost all the way, then have to "force" it the rest of the way and latch it. I have to lock the casters on my wheels so it doesn't roll away from me while I close the door. Mine has never leaked smoke from around the door, but this is apparently very common with new units. The more you use it, those small gaps causing the leak will fill up and it will no longer leak. Enjoy your smoker.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 11:34:36 AM »
Gary is right on here Vince.

Everything you have described is totally normal.

One other thing that "may" freak you out a bit (as a new owner) if you experience it is the infamous "Belch".  Tony (AKA Divotmaker) posted a really good comment on how/why we think this happens:

I was thinking about this problem, and the reason came to me while re-watching the movie "Backdraft."  It sounds like the same principal as a backdraft fire.  Essentially, you have just enough oxygen in a space to barely support combustion.  Our smokers fit that bill...small hole in the bottom (cool air in), large hole in the top (hot air out).  The volume of air coming in is less than what is going out, but more dense air (cooler), so that probably equals out.  Now, we apply heat to the wood, and the small amount of oxygen just allows a smoulder.  Open flame eats up a lot of O2, and would (should) quickly consume the O2 inside the cooker, causing the flame to extinguish. 

Here's the backdraft concept:  What happens when you open the door to peak/spritz/check/etc.?  A big rush of O2!  If the wood is a little too dry, that flood of oxygen will cause the wood to ignite (it now has fuel).  No door opening, no fuel.  It would be interesting to know how many have experienced this scenario, and if it was after opening the door (even a crack).

I believe properly seasoned wood is the key, because I usually open the door during a smoke to spritz.  I've never had chunks catch fire.  Chips would probably be more susceptible to combustion.

For those of you that have seen the movie:  The difference between our smokers and a real backdraft fire?  Probably not going to blow you through your car window when you open the door! ;D

The full thread if you are interested can be read here (FYI if you search for Belch you'll find more):

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=814.0

The bottom line is that this is really a manageable issue that doesn't really need to be worried about. It just can be a little disconcerting for a new owner that doesn't know what it is.

FYI, I have a #3 too and absolutely love it.

You made a great choice with the Smokin-It!

We'll be looking forward to hearing about your initial smokes and feel free to let us know if you have any questions. There are a great group of folks here that have paved the way for some of us who haven't had our smokers quite as long.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Vince

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 03:22:18 PM »
Gary / Greg,

Thank you both for responding so quickly. I feel much better no. I kind of suspected that was the way it was designed, but just want to be sure. No better place to go but to a bunch of experts all in one place! This forum is great & I/we look forward to being part of it.
We have some ribs, chicken & pork butt in it now and are looking forward to a wonderful dinner.

Thanks guys!!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 03:52:37 PM »
Wow! Looks like you are going to have quite a spread for dinner tonight!

Send some pics of your results and let us know how things go.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »
Not much to add here, Vince, except Welcome! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!