Author Topic: Sous Vide Pork Belly  (Read 2273 times)

johnnytex

Sous Vide Pork Belly
« on: May 08, 2018, 05:59:59 PM »
So my butcher has a deal on pork bellies and that is on my bucket like so I got a 5 pounder in the freezer ready to go.
Looking of advice, comments, time and temp suggestions from you all.
Thanks.
Tex
Tex From Ennis, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Sous Vide Pork Belly
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 06:54:42 PM »
That's a new one, Tex!  I've never heard of anyone doing a belly in the bath!  I would think it would benefit from a long bath, to get that fat really soft.  A standard pork rub and salt, then maybe 4 hours at 145?  I'm just guessing, but I bet it gets Kari, and some of our real sous vide experts, thinking!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 03:16:38 AM »
I've done it, and it works great.

Not only are these guys videos entertaining, they really know what they are doing when it comes to sous vide. This is my favorite style of pork belly. It is like the pork belly that is used in pork belly buns at asian restaurants (as shown in the picture below). You can eat it however you want though. It's delicious.
Sous Vide Everything – Pork Belly

You could also apply a rub and cold or low-temp smoke your belly for a few hours first, then sous vide. I recommend 150 for 36 hours in the sous vide bath, like the Sous Vide Everything guys do in their video.

If you want to cure and smoke it in the style of bacon, the Chefs Steps instructions are great. This is especially good cut into 2-inch squares, then quickly seared in a screaming hot pan or grill to form a crust.
ChefsSteps Fat Duck–Inspired Ultimate Pork Belly

Just make sure you weight your pork belly down with something. It wants to float. Also, it's easiest to cut if it is chilled. It can be so succulent and tender, that the layers of fat and meat might want to slide around when you cut it. So after you've eaten what you must right away, chill the remaining and cut into your thick slices or chunks when cold.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:40:48 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 05:10:01 PM »
That looks like a great way to do the belly!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!