Author Topic: The James Jerky Dryer  (Read 12202 times)

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
The James Jerky Dryer
« on: August 11, 2015, 02:44:34 PM »
Anybody with The James Jerky Dryer or knowledge about it care to share some specs?
I am wondering what the CFM rating is for the fan inside the unit.
Power supply voltage and current might be clues if the CFM data is not printed on the fan label.
So would RPM and fan diameter.

Thanks in advance.
Joe, in FL
Smoking It #3, Auber PID WSD-1500GPH, 23cfm of boost

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: The James Jerky Dryer
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 09:52:26 PM »
I'll see if there are any labels, but it looks like a standard computer case fan. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 12:13:22 PM »
Thanks Divot.
I'm sourcing a computer fan to blow air into the unit rather than pull it out.
Just want to know what CFM makes jerky so I can stay shy of that for my purposes.
Joe, in FL

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 02:14:44 PM »
Hey Funk, Too me this makes sense but how would you hook it up to blow air into the smoker? Unless you cut a hole in the bottom of the smoker. As I think the drain hole would be too little?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 08:50:53 PM »
Spot on.  I've drilled a hole in the bottom, at the rear of the box.
I was hoping the additional hole would be enough but I found out that even at 5/8" it's still not enough airflow for my taste.
It's a long story, found here:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2344
Joe, in FL

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 10:38:45 PM »
Hey Funk - if you're blowing air in, why not just use a cheap aquarium air pump, from the pet supply place?  You can hook a 1/8" tube to it, and pump air in easily!  Some of them are adjustable for the airflow (I'd recommend that type), and they're pretty cheap.  (Yeah, I'm a fish keeper, too ;) ).
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elkins20

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 12:33:07 AM »
Sorry Funk, they say the first thing to go is the mind and mine left a long time ago. Now I remember your post about the chicken skin. But, even at 5/8 I do not think that would be large enough to mount a fan on.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 12:48:56 AM »
Funny.  Several posters in that thread zeroed in on the chicken skin, but that's not the point of that thread.   My thread is about lack of airflow as I figured it was the reason I wasn't getting bark or crispy skin.  Chicken is probably the meat I smoke the least.   But in everyone else's defense, the last two smokes I wrote about in there were chicken.  :-[
Joe, in FL

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 12:51:57 AM »
Hey Funk - if you're blowing air in, why not just use a cheap aquarium air pump, from the pet supply place?  You can hook a 1/8" tube to it, and pump air in easily!  Some of them are adjustable for the airflow (I'd recommend that type), and they're pretty cheap.  (Yeah, I'm a fish keeper, too ;) ).

I had a look at some of these.  I found that they are really expensive once you get into the 5 to 7 cfm range; like $100+ expensive!
Computer fans deliver 20 to 30 + cfm for less than $10.
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

At any rate, I'd sure appreciate the CFM rating of the jerky dryer when you get a chance to look.
Joe, in FL

elkins20

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 12:58:30 AM »

I had a look at some of these.  I found that they are really expensive once you get into the 5 to 7 cfm range; like $100+ expensive!
Computer fans deliver 20 to 30 + cfm for less than $10.
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

Hey Funk, If I had the Jerky fan would give you this info. But, do not have one sorry.

At any rate, I'd sure appreciate the CFM rating of the jerky dryer when you get a chance to look.

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 08:20:16 AM »
Hey Funk, If I had the Jerky fan would give you this info. But, do not have one sorry.
Thanks, elkins.   I'm sure you would.
I should've been more specific about that request; it was aimed at DivotMaker. 
Joe, in FL

elkins20

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 10:40:11 AM »
Thanks, elkins.   I'm sure you would.
I should've been more specific about that request; it was aimed at DivotMaker.
I realize that after I sent the post, have you tried asking Steve for specifics on the fan he might give them to you. Could be worth a phone call.

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 04:41:34 PM »
Good idea.  I've got a voicemail and text into him just now...
Joe, in FL

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 08:45:30 PM »
Funk, the reason I haven't answered the question is that I don't know.  If you see the pics, you'll see it's a standard computer case fan, with no markings (sorry, not going to completely disassemble to see if there's a sticker on the other side).  Just go with any standard computer case fan; I think they're pretty much the same.
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 09:36:13 PM »
I understand that you are trying to innovate. But, for me personally, I have not nor will I start widening and drilling extra holes in my smoker other than for an Auber wall probe some day. I love that my smoker is so air tight and does not have a lot of air flow going through it. I think that that is a big reason that my Boston Butts and Ribs turn out so well.

I have a propane smoker and a stick burner that let all kinds of air through and dry out most everything I try to smoke in them. I know that you can foil your meat and spritz and all the traditional smoker tricks, but I bought the Smokin-It so I wouldn't have to resort to all those traditional smoker tricks. It is lazy Q for me and I don't want to have to resort to all that extra work.

To your point about bark, I get awesome bark ALL the time. So, I have a feeling that there is something in your process that is preventing you from getting acceptable bark.

Should you want to troubleshoot your bark issues, I would encourage you to do a search as this has been discussed a few times. Or start a new thread and we will help you get your bark issue fixed.

My two cents.

P.S. Don't get me wrong. The Jerky Dryer has a place when smoking jerky, sausage, and sometimes cheese and chicken.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.