Author Topic: #3 Cover deterioration  (Read 2437 times)

Twancho

#3 Cover deterioration
« on: April 07, 2019, 12:20:46 PM »
Has anyone else had this issue? This is my second cover for my #3. It gets sun bleached and the material gets so weak it tears like a piece of paper. I came out onto my deck and found it completely torn through the top.
Tom Wancho from Bethlehem PA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: #3 Cover deterioration
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 05:13:11 PM »
Mine is still in great shape but I have a roof over my patio.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 08:42:58 PM »
Who is the manufacturer? I have one from Coversandall.com and it’s awesome! But, it does stay shaded and covered. However my gasser is in sun for half the day and it’s the same material and doing great.  They make custom covers based on the size you need and material you want, and at a great price, just in case you don’t have this kind.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Twancho

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 09:04:56 PM »
No, mine isn't from there. I was just looking. Was yours custom or did you find one that fit?

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 09:27:27 PM »
Mine is the first cover they sent me for my gasser. They didn’t make it correctly and didn’t want it back. So I got two for the price of one. But it works perfectly for the 3D. They may have one that is sized for it, but they are really well made. You can’t beat it for the price.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Twancho

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 09:29:15 PM »
Thank you. I'll look into getting one from them.

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 09:45:33 PM »
I put a large black garden/leaf size trash bag over the Smokin-It cover. I usually go through 2 of them a year. Ultraviolet in the sunshine is a killer for the covers and the trash bag blocks that.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Twancho

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 12:24:02 PM »
Yes, I do get a lot of sun on my deck. I'll try the garbage bag over the top of the cover. Good idea. Thank you!

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 12:53:27 PM »
Yes, I do get a lot of sun on my deck. I'll try the garbage bag over the top of the cover. Good idea. Thank you!

Yeah... sun is killer on all covers... not just the SI ones.  I actually bought a generic cover for a grill that fits my #2 with stand really nicely.  It looks just like the SI cover without the SI logo.  After just a year it has faded considerably and I suspect after another year it will nearly be worn out.

Since everything is stainless steel and doesn't really need covered except for the smoke hole, controls, and a little of the back, I'll probably just look for some kind of opaque plastic tote to put over it when my cover wears out.  That may not work out much better for pretty much the same reason.  I'll come up with something clever eventually...  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...