Author Topic: Best Boston Butt Probe Placement?  (Read 2870 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Best Boston Butt Probe Placement?
« on: March 19, 2019, 02:37:03 PM »
This is more of an open-ended question to get some feedback from the group and hopefully come up with a recommendation for new users.

Kari's post in the The Meater (wireless meat thermometers) - Kickstarter project thread revealed some interesting results where she had five probes in a Boston Butt during a smoke that showed some pretty significant differences in the temps during the smoking process.

I am not saying this is the best spot, but I have always placed my probe in the middle of the spot highlighted in the following picture:

I use this spot because it doesn't have a lot of fat/collagen that in my thought process would result in unpredictable temperatures.

I am interested to hear/see where the rest of the group tries to place their internal probes.

Thanks in advance for your participation.

Gregg

Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Best Boston Butt Probe Placement?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 10:44:33 PM »
I also probe in that same general area.  I try as best I can to avoid a fat pocket so that the probe tip is in contact with meat throughout the cook rather than ending in a void as the fat melts.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 02:09:08 AM »
Probe 3 in my Meater test cook had a significantly higher temp than the other probes. I ignored Probe 3 in favor of the readings from other probes, figuring it was either bad probe placement, or an inaccurate probe. Upon removal from the smoker, it was clear that Probe 3 was smack dab in the middle of a layer of fat. Easy to identify once the cook was complete, but hard to identify when the fat is more solid pre-cook. This is why I always cook with at least two probes.

It makes me wonder how many unsuccessful butt cooks are due to probe placement. Resulting in an undercooked butt. It's pretty hard to overcook a butt. On my Meater test cook, I think it would have taken about 4-6 hours to get from 195 (where I took it out) to 205, a range where butt is totally acceptable, and my preference. Lots of wiggle room there. I would never cook to less than 190 (I prefer 195+). Often times when I hear a butt is "dry", the process usually sounds to me like it is in fact undercooked, with the firm texture of undercooked butt being interpreted on the palate as dry. The collagen has not fully converted to gelatin. Gelatin is what makes the butt lip-smackingly moist.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 11:41:54 AM »
Not as many responses as I would have hoped to have seen.

But, on the bright side, there appears to be agreement between the two pros (Dave/Kari). So, I think the post was a success. :)

I like the idea of two probes too, especially now that I have the Meater Block with 4 probes.

Thanks for the responses!

Gregg
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

kona77

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 10:41:47 PM »

Greg- Just saw this post and sorry for the late reply.. I always look for a "meaty" section on the top of the butt and probe there.. I have had fairly even cook times for my butts and I always try to buy the same size (8-9lb's) and use the exact same prep and smoking process.. Interesting data from Kari about the difference in temps. Does make sense to use multiple probes on a butt or brisket.. May have to try that in the future..
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

Jsamet

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 02:45:57 PM »
I have nothing to add except that I can't stop snickering like an adolescent at "butt probe placement".

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 10:35:03 PM »
I know what you mean Jeff.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 12:16:37 PM »
I have nothing to add except that I can't stop snickering like an adolescent at "butt probe placement".

I was wondering if anyone would catch that.  :P
Gregg - Fargo, ND