Author Topic: Wood to dry  (Read 2422 times)

Hank R

Wood to dry
« on: March 18, 2019, 12:18:26 PM »
I smoked up a batch of ribs yesterday as it was warmer above freezing and I think my wood is to dry as Ribs did not burn but close to it I read some where not to soak wood in water so how should I add moisture to my apple wood?  Ribs were good  they were not wasted just surprised that  the wood burnt at 225
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

tomd8

Re: Wood to dry
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 12:38:54 PM »
Hi Hank - I also smoked ribs this past weekend.  I used 3 chunks (apple, hickory, cherry) and some pellets (3.3oz total), all from a big box store and all dry.  I smoked at 1/2 a notch above the 225 mark on an analog #3 (kinda 230-235).  I did create a foil pouch for the wood and all burned fine  creating carbon but not ash.  I'm not sure why you think your wood is too dry but to add moisture you could leave the wood exposed in a protected outdoor area (shed, greenhouse, awning) but exposed to the weathers humidity.  You could also go really far and build a large humidor and utilize the moisture exchange that's created but somehow I'm thinking the chips or chunks you're using may be just fine.  I would not soak in water..IMHO.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 12:42:47 PM by tomd8 »
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

Hank R

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 12:45:56 PM »
Thanks 3.7 oz,  2 chunks had ash and 2 had Carbon left but did not foil wood. I have been keeping my wood in a large rubber mad tote with 6 holes cut in for air movement in garage.
Smokin-It #1
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

tomd8

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 01:00:55 PM »
For years I kept wood chips in the plastic bags they came in with a clip on it in my basement.  Never thought it was too dry and always smoked just fine.  Now my chips, chunks, pellets are all in a large plastic bin covered in my basement with no air holes.
Tom from New York

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 04:38:52 PM »
It is a smoker, fire happens occasionally in a smoker. I do not worry about it and have never had a negative issue. I do not, foil, soak, boat or any of the other preferred. tricks I read about here. I chuck it in and run it.

Enough heat applied long enough any wood will burn. Soaking wood wood creates  steam before it smokes. My goal is for the wood to smoulder, but if it catches fire I don't worry about it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

EFGM

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 10:40:47 PM »
He,he,he! I like that Brian, you just “Get’er done! Thinking about it I always had a mixture of wood results, sometimes charcoal and sometimes ash. Never gave any thought until it was brought up and then I started trying to monitor but still had mixed results. But alas, my Briskets are always good. And for that I am Thankful, not prideful, just Thankful and happy.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

tomd8

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 08:19:53 AM »
Brian and Doug - For years in my other electric smokers ash was the norm...don't recall getting any charcoal.  My initial few smokes in my SI produced some bitter tasting results which I was told is the result of ignited wood resulting in ash.  I admit its a bit of extra work to make a foil boat but ever since using one I've not had any bitter food and only charcoal.  I'm surprised you haven't encountered any bitterness due to ignited chunks or chips.  I have to say on a positive note the foil boat does keep the burned wood contained for easy cleanup at the end of the smoke.  One of the SI users ( Lonzinomaker) is using self fashioned aluminum trays that he said works as well as the foil boat.  One made of SS would be great for longevity.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:55:33 AM by tomd8 »
Tom from New York

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 09:07:08 AM »
At work I toss fireplace size logs into the Ole' Hickory in front of a 65,000 BTU burner to ignite it.
That wood combusts and burns to ash. The smoke produced is does not have a negative affect or bad taste.

If combustion is the issue how is it possible that I make delicious food? How is a 3 oz block of wood so negatively affecting a meal when I am burning several pounds of wood at a time?

I think we as cooks attempting to master a craft need to look a little deeper. To me smoking is a technique but the smoke is actually an ingredient.

There used to be a lot of comments on here about "The dreaded belch" the moment when wood went from a smoulder to combusting into flames. Folks would sit and watch their smokers the entire cook and when the smoke increased or darkened, that was "the belch" from that point on any negative result in their food was blamed on it.

It just do not worry on it, have you not heard, "Where there is smoke, there's a fire"?
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Hank R

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 08:27:08 AM »
Thanks everyone, I do have a chip screen when I bought my smoke and will try that in a test run this weekend.
Smokin-It #1
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

EFGM

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 12:14:55 PM »
Brian and Doug - For years in my other electric smokers ash was the norm...don't recall getting any charcoal.  My initial few smokes in my SI produced some bitter tasting results which I was told is the result of ignited wood resulting in ash.  I admit its a bit of extra work to make a foil boat but ever since using one I've not had any bitter food and only charcoal.  I'm surprised you haven't encountered any bitterness due to ignited chunks or chips.  I have to say on a positive note the foil boat does keep the burned wood contained for easy cleanup at the end of the smoke.  One of the SI users ( Lonzinomaker) is using self fashioned aluminum trays that he said works as well as the foil boat.  One made of SS would be great for longevity.

A couple of quotes from a very good man who is well experienced...

"Do not forget to poke a hole in the foil covering the drain/air hole in the floor of the smoker. This is very important. Select the wood. Remember these smokers are very efficient, and a little wood goes a long way! I know, from experience, I do not want more than 2 to 21⁄2 ounces of wood for ribs. This will impart a good smoky flavor, but not “over-smoke” them. The meat will only “absorb” the smoke until the meat reaches around 140° internal temperature, so if you continue smoking, you’ll just be collecting smoke on the surface. This will make the meat “bitter,” and over smoked. Think of what the inside of your smoker looks like; you don’t want creosote buildup on the meat."

"At about 15-20 minutes in to the smoke, you’re going to start seeing thin blue smoke coming out of the top vent, just like during seasoning. As the meat continues to cook, the smoke will be mixed with the vapor from the meat. "

These quotes are copy and pasted from Tony's electronic book titled "Lazy Q" It is available on the Smoking-it website if you scroll down to the bottom and click on the tab which I believe says "Instructions and Info" then clicking on Lazy Q.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:17:47 PM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Hank R

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 06:36:32 PM »
I did place hole in Tin Foil but I went with 3.5 oz of wood not my usual 3 or less
Smokin-It #1
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada