Author Topic: Hello from Alabama  (Read 4923 times)

Spence

Hello from Alabama
« on: July 16, 2013, 10:36:29 AM »
Recently ordered and received my number 3.  Only done a couple of smokes but so far so good.  Like some others my temps seem a little low (highest I've seen is 226) but hopefully it won't hold me back.  An overall well built smoker.
Alabama Chain Smoker

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Hello from Alabama
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 11:00:50 AM »
Welcome to the club, Spence.  A few things:  did you measure temp during the seasoning process to confirm that you're unable to achieve temps above 226?  Have you calibrated your thermometer?  Are you running the smoker with only a small load when you're measuring?
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Spence

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 11:06:45 AM »
Did not monitor during break in smoke but did during smoke of five racks of ribs using Maverick temp gauge.  Smoked a total of 5 hours and unit never reached over 226 at highest, mostly 190s to 205.
Alabama Chain Smoker

UWFSAE

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 11:16:07 AM »
Hmmm, that's a decent load so you can eliminate that issue.  I've had the #3 since March and have never had an issue with being able to peak at, or slightly above, the 250 setting.

A few things to check before you call customer service:
1.  If you're using an extension cord, try it without it.
2.  Visually inspect the element and smoker box to see that they seat properly.
3.  Consider using a water pan to help stabilize temps on your next smoke.
4.  Run an empty chamber smoke and set it to 250; use wood as you normally would and measure temp every fifteen minutes through a 3-4 hour session.
5.  Calibrate your Maverick using boiling water, just to be sure.

If you're concerned I know Steve will get back to you in short order to help allay your concerns and come up with a solution if a hardware issue exists. 

Joe from Houston, TX

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 12:27:02 PM »
Welcome Spence!
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

Spence

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 12:53:34 PM »
I'll try the boiling water check first as that's quick and simple then, if Maverick checks out , I'll do the empty cook test suggested.  Thanks for the advice.  Oh, no extension cord was used.

Say, do most people use Pam on racks for easier cleanup?
Alabama Chain Smoker

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 02:29:32 PM »
Sounds like a plan!   I do not use PAM on the racks, but others have commented that they do.   The clean up for me has been fine just by soaking the racks for a bit and then using a brush to clean.  I have also used HD foil balled up to get as a cleaning device.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

UWFSAE

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 02:31:36 PM »
Pam is fine (it definitely wouldn't hurt) but in my experience it's not necessary; the racks clean up very easily with a bit of degreaser or even some Dawn detergent and a brush.
Joe from Houston, TX

Spresso

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »
Regarding PAm. I don't use it, nothing has been so sticky yet that I felt the need.
I have designated 1 rack to be a workhorse. A Dirty grill if you will as I use the Bradley smoker racks for everything else. It's smaller , easier to clean , goes in the dishwasher. Unlike the rack of the #3. too big.
For ribs and brisket. no choice they have to go on the original racks....due to size.
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 10:34:58 PM »
Welcome, Spence!  Sounds like you're definitely on the right track.  Lots of good smokes ahead of you!  As for my 2-cents on the Pam issue:  I use it, and find the grills scrub clean with just a little hot water and one of those nylon scour pads.  Another spray I found that works better is Weber grill spray.  It's hard to find sometimes in my area, but it handles higher temps better than Pam.  I've also rubbed the grates with a little olive oil, too!  I'm into easy clean-up! ;D

Throw some pics up of your cooks, if you can - we love pictures!  Mmmm, mmmm!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bigboy74

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 11:07:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum. This forun has a great group of people that help out as much as possible.