Author Topic: boston butt advise  (Read 3067 times)

es1025

boston butt advise
« on: July 16, 2013, 08:47:40 AM »
Need some advise, attending a party on Saturday and have been requested to cook some pulled pork. The party starts at 5pm. How long do you believe I can have the butt rest? I have gone 3 hours on my last one. Do you think I could extend the rest time to 4 hours? Thanks
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Spresso

Re: boston butt advise
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
I don't see why not as long as you keep the meat 150+ at all times....even at the end.
I used to be early with my grill but lately i have been late getting done with the #3.
If you can keep the tempt at 150-160 in the smoker, you could keep the meat safe.
I'd say pull it a couple of degrees early as it will continue to cook at that temp.
So if you usually pull it at 205 then pull it at 200-201 or so.   That's just my take on it....
Zed
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 11:11:18 AM »
If you're going to hold that long I'd definitely give it a VERY healthy spritzing of apple juice before you put it in the cooler.  You may also want to throw a bunch of towels in the dryer prior to putting them in the cooler with the wrapped butt to help keep the temp up ... four hours is a bit of a stretch but I think it could be done so long as the temp stays up above 145.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 12:30:15 PM »
I was going to recommend what Zed said about pulling a few degrees early also. Should be OK, just do everything you can to insulate to meat while resting.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 10:25:26 PM »
I held some pork loins, wrapped in foil, for about 3 hours at 140-145 - they were great, and I'm still alive. ;)
The opinion of "safe" holding temp seems to vary, but I can't imagine much bacteria growing at 140+ degrees.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!