Author Topic: Wood Catching on fire!!  (Read 18984 times)

bigboy74

Wood Catching on fire!!
« on: July 13, 2013, 12:11:53 AM »
Anyone else having a problem with their wood catching fire? Had the problem with the wood sent with the smoker and some wood from cook-shack... When it is on fire my temps are going well over 300 degrees. I just got my #2 on Monday and noticed that the heating element in not in the center of the unit... It is off to the left side a good bit, but the element is not touching the wood box... Could it be damaged causing the temp to go higher and catch the wood on fire???

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Wood Catching on fire!!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 12:23:52 AM »
I've heard of this issue with electric smokers and the vast majority are due to very dry wood; any chance you have a local BBQ/grill store that carries locally grown and seasoned wood to see if that makes a difference?  The dowels that came with my #3 were solid with no issues.  I'd drop a quick email (and photo) to Steve regarding the heating element being off-center and pick his brain a bit for solutions.

The only thing else I recall from creating inconsistent burning (not flaring per se) was the use of the chip insert in the smoker box when using chunk wood.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 07:31:31 AM »
Like Joe said, dry wood is the main cause of flare ups. The wood dowels provided with the smoker are of great quality, if I'm reading your post correctly you have tried to smoke just using the provided dowels by themselves and are still having flare ups, correct?

I don't believe the off center element would cause any issues as long as it's not touching the wood box but it can't hurt to get Steve a call and let him know about it.

How much wood you adding at a time? I have heard of people with flare up issues wrapping the wood chunks in foil and poking holes in the foil.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 10:07:42 AM »
I would call Steve a.s.a.p.   I was under the impression that these smokers don't have enough air flow in them to support flames, the wood should smolder but not catch fire........

bigboy74

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 01:27:58 PM »
I am curently doing my third smoke. I have not had the wood catch fire. The first two times I did not use the drip pan. The first time being  brake in smoke and the second being some chops that were not on long. Maybe not having the drip pan allowed more air flow causing the wood to catch fire...

UWFSAE

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 01:34:01 PM »
Hmmm ... hot air rising, cool air rushing in to take it's place with an unobstructed chimney effect?  It's possible ...

Nonetheless, I'd still send a pic via email of the heating element issue to Steve for his two cents on the issue.  Thanks for the update, Bigboy ... keep us updated. 
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 08:27:05 PM »
Absolutely contact Steve with pictures of your setup.  Sounds like something's not right.  These units are really tight (1/4" hole in the floor, and a vent hole in the top).  Not really enough air flow for flaming combustion.  I suspect really dry wood, but can't imagine any "fire," unless you're opening the door to peak.  That would provide plenty of O2 to set the wood on fire.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

marscellus

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »
I just received a #3 last week and my heating element is off center too and I noticed that it goes more off center the longer I cook with it. I also had a fire with my first seasoning smoke using the supplied hickory chunks and I've seen temps over 300 degrees after initial start up with the temp set to 225. I'm starting to think something is not quite right.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 10:23:01 AM »
Hi marscellus...I would also suggest contacting Steve, with pictures as well.   I have a #2 that has temperature swings of about 20-25 degrees from the initial set point, which has worked out fine for me.   A temp swing of over 75 degrees (300 for a setting of 225) seems out of range to me.   Let us know what you find out.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Spresso

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 11:06:57 AM »
the other thing you can do is wrap the wood in aluminum foil.
also notice the temp difference inside the wood box. you can run a test:
 if you place a thin layer of aluminum foil on the bottom of the smoker (wood) box and run your smoker for a few hours on 235 or so you will notice discoloration of the foil. those are your hot spots.
place the wood where you see no hot spot and see if that makes a difference.
my element is also crooked a bit but I see not problem with that.  maybe 1 inch to one side at the front.

knowing your hot spot also helps you controlling how long something smokes and how intensely.
So far I have run more tests than actual cooking  ::)
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 07:32:41 PM »
I was thinking about this problem, and the reason came to me while re-watching the movie "Backdraft."  It sounds like the same principal as a backdraft fire.  Essentially, you have just enough oxygen in a space to barely support combustion.  Our smokers fit that bill...small hole in the bottom (cool air in), large hole in the top (hot air out).  The volume of air coming in is less than what is going out, but more dense air (cooler), so that probably equals out.  Now, we apply heat to the wood, and the small amount of oxygen just allows a smoulder.  Open flame eats up a lot of O2, and would (should) quickly consume the O2 inside the cooker, causing the flame to extinguish. 

Here's the backdraft concept:  What happens when you open the door to peak/spritz/check/etc.?  A big rush of O2!  If the wood is a little too dry, that flood of oxygen will cause the wood to ignite (it now has fuel).  No door opening, no fuel.  It would be interesting to know how many have experienced this scenario, and if it was after opening the door (even a crack).

I believe properly seasoned wood is the key, because I usually open the door during a smoke to spritz.  I've never had chunks catch fire.  Chips would probably be more susceptible to combustion.

For those of you that have seen the movie:  The difference between our smokers and a real backdraft fire?  Probably not going to blow you through your car window when you open the door! ;D

I'm not a fireman, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! lol
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

bigboy74

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 06:16:42 PM »
I have now done three smokes since this issue and have not had the problem again. Only thing different is the drip pan was in... Don't know if it made a difference but that is the only difference. Once I shut the door on mine I don't open it till my meat is done. Opening the door only let's heat and moisture out. When the temp got to high I did open the door to see what was going on. But like I said I haven't had the problem again. I am really enjoying smokin'! I have made some awesome pork with this little smoker!

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 06:39:14 PM »
Great, glad to hear that you're issue seems resolved. Never would have thought the pan would make a difference but I've seen stranger things.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 07:13:19 PM »
That's great!  I bet the pan restricts the air flow to the lower drain hole a little.  Good to know!  Let's see some pork pics when you're able! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 07:44:21 PM »
Bigboy, if you look closely at the instructions that came with your Smokin-It you'll note that using the drain pan "helps to keep the magic in".  So ... yeah.
Joe from Houston, TX