Author Topic: Ribs this weekend  (Read 2638 times)

PWSOT

Ribs this weekend
« on: April 02, 2014, 10:12:44 AM »
Gonna fire the #2 up this weekend for its first smoke with some ribs was wondering is there any advantage to putting the wood dowels in whole or if you split em and put them in the fire box flat side down ? Thanks in advance.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Ribs this weekend
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 10:22:45 AM »
I have done it both ways. But lately I have been splitting them and spreading them evenly out in the Smoker Box.

I think they start smoking faster, but may not last quite as long.

For a shorter smoke, I think I would split them. But for a longer butt/brisket smoke I may try leaving them whole again.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 12:09:18 PM »
I'm doing 30lbs of ribs in my #2 this weekend.  Most meat I have cooked @ 1 time yet. All rubbed down getting happy in the fridge now.  I don't know if it really matters about splitting the dowels.  I haven't noticed any difference in the final product but in theory due to more surface area exposed to the heat, it should smoke faster.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

GeeBee

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 01:07:11 PM »
I split mine, just to keep them from rolling around.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 05:22:21 PM »
I split mine in the #1, but leave them whole in the #2 due to the hotter element; I find the splits burn up too fast.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!