Author Topic: Smoker Essentials: ARY VacMaster Pro 260  (Read 7500 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Smoker Essentials: ARY VacMaster Pro 260
« on: July 11, 2013, 02:36:27 PM »
There's a joke that anyone who buys a vacuum sealer, a Dyson vacuum cleaner, or even a turkey baster inevitably makes ... "Wow, this really sucks!".  Sophomoric humor aside, it's also spot on ... we need these devises to do their job and do it well.

Many of you have undoubtedly heard of, or even used, the ubiquitous FoodSaver series of home use vacuum sealers.  Their entry level units are typically around the $80.00 mark while their most advanced systems retail between $250.00-$300.00 via online retailers.  Their most successful units are the lesser expensive systems but, as with most things, you get what you pay for ... cheaper parts, higher failure rate, less flexibility of use. While many products in the FoodSaver line are good choices, they are not commercial grade or designed "super user".  So what options do advanced home cooks or barbecue hobbyists have? 

The more expensive chamber sealers (with the cheapest units around $700.00 and increasing to the $3000.00-$5000.00 range) aren't truly accessible to the average home user.  But many of the commercial grade manufacturers have been slowly taking their equipment and scaling it to fit the needs of folks like us.  ARY is one of those companies; having been in business for over 30 years, they've utilized heavier duty compressors to provide a cost-competitive option to the FoodSaver brand while maintaining commercial-grade reliability.

The ARY VacMaster Pro 260 is one of ARY's top-of-the-line non-chamber vacuum sealer.  Chamber sealers, like those huge units you see in butcher stores or in the meat cutting area of your grocery store or Sam's Club, do the best job of evacuating air from this form of packaging and can actually seal liquids like soups or marinades with no spillage.  The VacMaster Pro series are more traditional external-suction home machines that are restricted in the sealing of liquids but do provide included accessories (a hose and vacuum sealed canisters) for marinating needs or short term storage in the refrigerator.  My VacMaster Pro 260 is an automatic system that has enabled me to preserve the smoked meats I craft in the Smokin-It with optimal freshness for months on end.

PROS:
1.  This unit is VERY sturdy compared to most of it's competitors and it's compressor has the necessary muscle to quickly and precisely vacuum seal everything from uncooked foods to spice rubs to smoked meats. 
2.  This unit, like most, does have an accessory port for a tube that allows you to seal canisters and whatnot.
3.  It permits roll-type bags (where you cut and seal to your desired size) as well as a wide variety of precut bags and has an integrated roll storage system and bag cutter.  Using the rolls, in my experience, is the best way to reduce waste with perfectly sized bags.
4.  The "pulse" option, a quick chill in the freezer, allows you to seal marinated meats with no real fear of liquid spills that could damage the machine.  This function also allows you to safely seal your spice rubs without significant loss.
5.  This unit also has an integrated cooling fan, which helps prevent the overheating that occurs in many of the cheaper units.
6.  The LED display is intuitive and is visible under most indoor lighting conditions.
7.  The sealing bars are replaceable, something that dramatically extends the life cycle of this machine.

CONS:
1.  Like any vacuum unit, it does get a bit noisy.
2.  Like all external-suction machines, it is limited with dealing with very moist foods and is not designed for liquids.
3.  Powdered spices can also be sucked out of the machine so it takes a bit of practice with the pulse function to seal your rubs properly.
4.  The price point is about 60% higher than the typically big box store entry level sealer.

FINAL RECOMMENDATIONS:
For about $170.00, you can get a nearly-commercial grade home vacuum sealer that not only outperforms most other brands but also exhibits higher build quality and greater flexibility.  The VacMaster bags and rolls are cheaper than most other brands and of similarly high quality, though any brand will work with the ARY products.

I think everyone would agree (except the makers of Ziploc bags) that vacuum sealing is the best way to preserve foods in the freezer or refrigerator for the home pitmaster or cook.  I also think that you should find the right tool for the right job ... I am, and have always been, a subscriber to "Measure twice, cut once".  The VacMaster products fit that motto perfectly.

My logic is this:  most reviews (and my own anecdotal evidence of an ex who went through three of the less expensive competitors in four years) of more widely known vacuum sealers show the same failings and a slightly-above-average rating based on both build quality and effectiveness for sous vide applications.  ARY VacMaster products are built on commercial designs and my own local butcher/BBQ sensi has a huge ARY chamber unit for packaging special cuts for customers; simply put, if he trusts it then I can trust it.  My VacMaster 260 has performed flawlessly once you learn how to use it and I can recommend it to anyone without reservation.

VENDOR RECOMMENDATION:
http://www.amazon.com/VacMaster-Pro-260-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B008Q7NJEI/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:22:51 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Smoker Essentials: ARY VacMaster Pro 260
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 07:46:37 PM »
Nice review, Joe!  It looks like a nice alternative to the (no longer available) FoodSaver Professional models.  If my Pro takes a dump, this will be its replacement!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 08:02:07 PM »
Thanks Tony ... those $99.88 WalMart specials were bargains for a reason; I'd rather spend money once to do it right rather than treat the entire unit as a consumable.  That being said, if your FoodSaver Pro is doing the job ride it till it drops.   :)
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 08:05:45 PM »
Yep, I went through 2 of the store models before finding the Pro model.  They only sold them direct, or through certain retailers due to the price ($200+) at the time; probably why they discontinued them.  The ARY looks just as solid!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 06:48:50 PM »
I can see what my next toy will be, thanks for the review Joe.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 11:55:32 AM »
Great Review!
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2