Author Topic: Smoked stuffed peppers  (Read 3325 times)

Barrel99

Smoked stuffed peppers
« on: April 15, 2015, 01:25:56 PM »
Anyone have recipes for smoked stuffed peppers. I have some for the oven which I can use but thought maybe someone had some that they already tried in the smoker. I will be using chopped beef and pork as the stuffing. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 01:24:49 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Smoked stuffed peppers - Recipes needed
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 06:16:55 PM »
For clarification purposes, you're talking bells vs. poppers, right? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Barrel99

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 07:02:18 PM »
Yes Dave, bells.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Barrel99

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »
I changed up some recipes I have to use in the smoker. They came out really great. All the ingredients are pre cooked, because I don't like using raw meat that leaves lots of fat in the peppers. Don't be afraid to change it up any way you want. I used 3 lbs of meat, but you can probably cut the recipe in half. It's easy to over smoke them so I would cut back to about 2 oz of wood. At 3 oz it was borderline. As far as timing, since it is precooked, you are looking just to get some smoke into them and soften the peppers. Using raw peppers and raw meat will require a lot more cooking time.

Smoked Stuffed Peppers

This is a basic recipe that can be modified to your taste. Unlike many other recipes, it is pre-cooked to get rid of the excess fats in the meat. Since there is no egg in this recipe, the meat remains crumbly. You can add an egg or two to the mixture if you like the meat to hold together. You can cut back on the black pepper and cayenne as well.

Ingredients
3 lbs chopped meat -I mixed 2 lbs beef with 1 lb pork
1 cup cooked rice - instant is fine
1 small can tomato sauce - This can be plain, or Rotel or any other tomato based sauce
1 tbsp Onion Powder
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp salt (if you use a salty rub, do not add this salt)
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp of your favorite rub
12 peppers any and all colors sliced lengthwise partially cooked in the microwave for 10 minutes
2 tbsp ketchup used later - approximately (You can substitute BBQ sauce or other condiment)
1 tbsp of your favorite rub while stuffing

Steps
Thoroughly mix together all  ingredients up to the peppers. Cook in a pan big enough to hold half the meat. Cook 1/2 the meat mixture until the meat browns. Remove and then cook the other half.

Drain well in a colander.

Add the cooked rice and mix well. You may have to let it cool a bit to handle.

Make sure you pre-cook the peppers

Poke several holes in the bottom of the peppers. The size of a chopstick is fine.

Fill the pepper half full. Add some rub and a thin layer of ketchup. Fill to the top of the pepper then more rub and ketchup. (Top with cheese if you like. The smoke will not get to the meat as well but will still get to the peppers)

Place peppers on a rack, or Bradley Tray.

Place in smoker.

Cook at 225 for about 2 hours or until peppers are soft.

Use no more than 2 oz of wood because they can over smoke easily.

You can use BBQ sauce, tomato sauce or other finishing sauce when they are done.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:26:15 AM by Barrel99 »

OFFSHORE GINGER

Re: Smoked stuffed peppers
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 07:21:05 PM »
Going thru a few web sites today I found  this recipe today and with a little doctoring up I think I will give it a try on the smoker using the same concept  .  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv6xfTqnsCs
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:23:18 PM by OFFSHORE GINGER »
[I[I .............

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 07:46:57 PM »
Arnie,

Looks great, just missing some bacon  :)

Greg

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 08:07:44 PM »
Arnie,

Looks great, just missing some bacon  :)

Greg
LOL, Arnie ? Greg , bacon is in the picture along with a few other things  - X- TRA that I hope will make this a Hamburg master piece Ha Ha Ha .................
[I[I .............

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 11:26:30 PM »
Go get em folks. Make plenty. Freeze them individually in zip lock bags. Anytime you want some smoky beef and peppers pull one or two out, plate them and microwave for a couple minutes. Taste great! Quick and easy.