Author Topic: First Packer Brisket brined and injected (using Mortons Tender Quick)  (Read 3192 times)

Barrel99

14.5 lbs Packer brisket from butcher. Choice at $4.59/ lb. Cryovac packed. Rinsed and put in Divots pork butt brine for 16 hours. Used a cooler with ice in a bag on top of meat. Stays very cold. Rinsed meat from brine. Injected with Divots brisket injection. Did not let it sit at all.

Immediately put on mustard and Memphis Dust. Put in smoker. Used 5-7/8 oz of hickory chunks (3-pieces, almost 4oz) and 2 oz apple wood chips. Set temp to 225 and smoked for 17.5 hours to 192 degrees. Rested for 4 hours foiled in cooler.

Meat was excellent in taste, tenderness, bark, moisture (a tad drier than I would have liked - next time pull at 190 and rest only 2 hours). Big smoke ring from the Tender Quick.

Follow the forum comments and you can't go wrong.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:17:21 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Moonz

Re: First Packer Brisket brined and injected (using Mortons Tender Quick)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 02:35:01 PM »
Wow 4.59lb that's cheap
Brisket looks awesome, have a 8 pound packer for Saturday #2
Marcus
Fifty Lakes, MN
Elk River, MN
Model#2, weber genesis, smoke vault 24
Fryin saucer
Northern home brewer
Owner of 2 Irish Wolfhounds

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 02:40:18 PM »
That is on my cravings list.  I have to do one soon!  Looks great.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 04:08:54 PM »
Well done Arnie!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Barrel99

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 05:30:09 PM »
Thanks. The brining and injecting definitely makes for a more flavorful and moister brisket.

For those interested, I used 3/4 cup Tender Quick in the brine. Next time I will use 1/2 cup or less or none. I could care less about the make believe smoke ring. I should have used less salt in the recipe but forgot. It didn't seem to matter since the meat was not salty at all. The Memphis Dust Rub was the no salt version.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!