Author Topic: First jerky and a broken jerky dryer  (Read 8393 times)

Barrel99

First jerky and a broken jerky dryer
« on: March 02, 2015, 11:14:32 PM »
I received my jerky drier today. Bummer! The female power plug inside the unit has a wire that has broken off the switch. I called Steve and left a message. No response as yet.

Meanwhile I have 3.5 lbs of marinated jerky that I was going to make today. Tomorrow I will smoke it for a couple hours at 140-150 and put it in the oven for 5-6 hours as low as I can get it. Not a happy camper. So much for my first jerky.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Barrel99

Re: First jerky and a broken jerky dryer
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 12:37:20 PM »
Just got off the phone with Steve at SI. He is sending me a new unit and a return label for the broken one. Can't ask for more than that customer service. He is always a pleasure to speak to.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 01:04:43 PM »
I've studied the dryer for a little bit and think it will make a nice project for a DIY model.  At $80, it will be worth spending a couple hours in the garage. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Barrel99

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 01:12:43 PM »
Not much to it. A large size empty tomato juice can, a computer fan, a female jack and an adapter plug. Just have to figure a way to mount the fan. What else is there? Maybe a piece of filter material.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:39:26 PM by Barrel99 »

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 04:56:18 PM »
There is a piece of filter material. I think it is more of an area to gather condensation to keep it out of the motor. It still gets wet on the motor but the majority is at the base/filter area.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 05:05:03 PM »
There is a piece of filter material. I think it is more of an area to gather condensation to keep it out of the motor. It still gets wet on the motor but the majority is at the base/filter area.
Probably all caused by the lid.  I wouldn't see a need for that. 

paidin

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 05:42:40 PM »
I've studied the dryer for a little bit and think it will make a nice project for a DIY model.  At $80, it will be worth spending a couple hours in the garage.

If you are going to make a DIY version, create it so that you can collect the smokey condensation so you can bottle it up and sell liquid smoke.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 06:22:43 PM »

If you are going to make a DIY version, create it so that you can collect the smokey condensation so you can bottle it up and sell liquid smoke.
Wouldn't it be easier to just put a big pan of water in the smoker? LOL!

paidin

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 06:24:15 PM »

Wouldn't it be easier to just put a big pan of water in the smoker? LOL!

no, there is a difference between smokey water and liquid smoke.  Liquid smoke is a distillation process :)
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

Barrel99

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 09:16:05 PM »
You guys never cease to amaze me with you innovative ideas.

Barrel99

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 09:56:29 PM »
My non-dryer first jerky:

So here it is. By most accounts pretty darn good. Here's the story.
Cut 1-3/4 lb top round about 1/4 inch crossways and another 1-3/4 with the grain.

Marinated in 2 different teriyaki flavored marinades for 24 hours.
Squeezed meat and dried in paper towels. No water rinse.
Put meat on racks in fridge for 24 hours. Made a huge difference drying out the meat.
Put on top 3 shelves in #3 all on Bradley racks.
Firebox had a trail of pellets near the back and chips in middle. About 3 oz.
Opened door wide and set to 250 until smoke was visible then dropped to 160.
Didn't close door until smoke was strong and temp dropped to 150.
Closed door and let smoke for 2 hours. Had to open door a few times to cool so heat would restart cause smoke really slowed down.
Set temp to 135 and let go for 6 hours but kept door open entire time about 1 inch.

Pictures show results. Tasty, chewy, smoky and really good.

All criticism is welcomed.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:01:19 PM by Barrel99 »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 10:17:31 PM »
Looks like it got the job done, Arnie!  The difference with jerky smoked with the dryer is very apparent.  Instead of looking "cooked," it almost has a translucent look to it (brined, with cure, meat).  Otherwise, it's a taste & texture preference.  Lots of people make jerky without a fan, as have I, but I definitely prefer the results with a fan.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 08:16:23 AM »
I truly believe the lower you go with the heat for jerky the better product you get. I run it at 100, with temp spikes I have seen it climb to 150 but typically the box holds at 100-110 with the fan constantly running. I think it has a better texture. I am not being critical of your smoke I hope you enjoy it, I'm sure nobody including me would refuse a sample. There are a couple pictures on this link.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1831.0
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 09:20:33 AM »
Do you guys get a soft chew jerky or a leather tug jerky?

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 10:47:43 AM »
The low temp Jerky is not soft like commercially produced jerky however it is more tender than Jerky produced at higher temps.

The best jerky I ever had was made by a former sister-in-law. She was from Thailand. Her jerky was air dried in the kitchen on wire racks. Not the most modern method, but damn fine jerky thick cut, tender and great flavor.
- Sigmund Freud