Author Topic: USDA Jerky Guidelines  (Read 4298 times)

Barrel99

USDA Jerky Guidelines
« on: February 26, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »
Here a link that might be of interest:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/meat-preparation/jerky-and-food-safety/CT_Index
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: USDA Jerky Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 06:51:55 PM »
Interesting.  I agree with what it says about drying marinated meat - easy to get bacteria, and it won't last long.  They sort of touch on cured meat, but not really. 

Personally, I have no fear of jerky strips brined in a cure (with #1 Instacure), then smoking/drying at 140°.  The curing salt kills virtually all the bacteria - sausage makers have known this forever, and they don't "precook to 160" before drying.  If you cook jerky strips to 160, and then attempt to dry further, I think you'll have jerky that more resembles fried bacon, but I could be wrong.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:21:38 PM »
What struck me was if someone told me there were USDA guidelines for jerky, I would have laughed in their face in disbelief...lol

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

mcinore

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:59:05 PM »
You have to remember the USDA set the guidelines for the meat industry. I cut meat for 28 years and had to have a food handlers card. The magic numbers as set by the USDA are 40 degs. and below and 140 degs. and above are what is considered safe temps. and most bacteria are killed at 160 degs.and above. I think if they said anything less they would set themselves up for a lawsuit, and yes the Instacure would solve all that. That being said there are a lot of smokers sold Big Chiefs, Little Chiefs ect. that don't get over 160 degs. and I never heard of anyone getting sick from using them.
Mike from Oregon
Smokin-it #4
Go Ducks

Barrel99

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 09:17:23 PM »
Not knowing anything about jerky and just beginning to learn, I was surprised at how popular it is. I find it quite interesting.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 09:37:24 PM »
It definitely is interesting, Arnie.  I agree with many of the USDA guidelines, especially with respect to poultry, as much of the commercially produced stuff has salmonella.  But, I think they're going a little "overly cautious" on stuff like this.  I find the cured jerky keeps for a long time, and no one who's eaten mine has ever gotten sick. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 11:20:01 PM »
Well my dryer is on its way and and I just ordered some Mortons Tender Quick. After my last negative experience with instacure, I just felt a little better using Mortons. Maybe not perfect, but I think it will do the job.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:39:18 PM by Barrel99 »

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 06:48:30 AM »
Like many things from the Government these Jerky Guidelines are excessive. I believe in using the proper amount of salt, especially curing salt and low or no heat with plenty of airflow.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud