Author Topic: Where do I begin with jerky?  (Read 8587 times)

Barrel99

Where do I begin with jerky?
« on: February 24, 2015, 12:53:11 PM »
I was never really exposed to jerky. As a matter of fact, I have never had homemade jerky. Only that store bought stuff. I would like to try something simple. I do not have a dryer or dehydrator. So what do you suggest...where do I begin?
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Where do I begin with jerky?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 01:06:15 PM »
You need to read all the posts in the Jerky section. Take notes of any questions you may have, possibly reply to the original posts depending on age or, submit a new post with your specific questions.

While I want to help you, I don't feel like rewriting all the information that is currently available to you. Log onto SI, order a Jerky Dryer attachment then read the past posts while you wait for it to arrive.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
You really need a dryer to do jerky right because you need to get that moisture out of the very airtight Smokin-It smoker.

It seems like I read either here or on the SMF where a guy left his smoker door cracked to let the moisture out.

You could also smoke the Jerky in the Smokin-It for 3-4 hours and then move it to your oven with the door cracked on its lowest setting.

There are a lot of good posts in this section that talk about jerky smokes. Here are a few that I like:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2326.0
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1561.0
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2456.0
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2239.0
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 08:10:58 PM »
Arnie, spend a little time with the links Gregg provided, and seriously consider getting the jerky fan, if you plan on doing some.  It makes ALL the difference, and you just can't get great results without it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

mcinore

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:58:49 PM »
NDKose have you tried the jerky dryer with sticks, if so what where your results?
Mike from Oregon
Smokin-it #4
Go Ducks

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 10:07:31 PM »
Yes, I have smoked snack stix with and without the jerky dryer.

My batch without the jerky dryer was bad. The stix essentially got steamed and the casings turned to rubber and pealed off if the meat. I vowed that I would not smoke stix or jerky without a dryer again.

The dryer really does make a huge difference.

I'm going to be doing three 25lb batches of snack stix and one 25lb batch of venison bacon this weekend.

I'm not sure that I'll create a new thread for this as I have documented similar smokes before, but I'll probably share some pictures of the results.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 10:20:32 PM »
Here is a thread from my most recent stix smoke:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2284.0

25lbs really maxes out the #3. I had to use six shelves, so some of the bottom rack stix were pretty close to the smoke box and got kind of burnt. So this weekend I'll be rotating trays a couple of times top to bottom and front to back to even out the cooking.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 12:17:47 AM »
I guess I asked a question I already knew the answer to. Get a jerky dryer. I ordered it today. Thanks for the input. Now I will look closer into the recipes and how to use it.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 12:37:07 AM »
Is the jerky dryer just a constant speed fan with a frame around it? I wonder if I could make one with an old pc fan I have lying around and some sort of tin enclosure? If there is more to the jerky dryer than this I'd like to know.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 01:30:35 AM »
Is the jerky dryer just a constant speed fan with a frame around it? I wonder if I could make one with an old pc fan I have lying around and some sort of tin enclosure? If there is more to the jerky dryer than this I'd like to know.

No, that is really about it. I think others have done the same thing with computer fans if you search for threads here on the subject.

If you are ingenious and want to mess with it, you should be able to come up with a DIY solution. I am not, so just bought it. ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:42:34 AM by NDKoze »
Gregg - Fargo, ND

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 01:51:11 AM »
Any information on the jerky fan about CFM (cubic feet per minute) for airflow features?
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 02:10:59 AM »
I have no idea on that. You could email Steve, but there isn't anything on the box or in the instructions that list the CFM.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

mcinore

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 06:56:39 AM »
Gregg thanks for the response. I thought I searched out all the threads on the dryer and sticks, must have missed that one.
Mike from Oregon
Smokin-it #4
Go Ducks

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 07:58:52 PM »
Tony,

Yes, you can create a suitable fan with a standard PC case fan.  Personally, I like the jerky fan because a). It is a well-made stainless enclosure with a hood and filter, and b). Just not worth the hassle of reinventing the wheel (at least for me).  Only have to buy it once, and it's "plug and play!"  Besides, it looks darn cool on top of the smoker. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 08:18:54 PM »
Hey Tony, if it wasn't for my job I love I'll take yours for a week (test SI dummy).  haha

Fan is on my list................

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA