Author Topic: First brined pork loin  (Read 9480 times)

Barrel99

First brined pork loin
« on: February 12, 2015, 01:06:18 AM »
Well I figured it was about time that I tried a pork brine. So I got a 4.1 lb boneless pork loin and put it in DMs pork brine (no pink salt) for 18 hours. Washed it and dried it and put in fridge for a couple hours. I wasn't ready to cook it yet. I just wanted it out of the brine.

I rubbed it with mustard and Daves Famous rub. Here is where I used the "progressive smoke". I used a really wine fragrant oak barrel chip...smelled great...followed by a 1-3/4 apple chunk then 1-1/8 hickory chunk (see pic). Wood chunks were boated (later foil was removed to get more smoke), all on a SI chip tray.

Set temp to 235. Got smoke in 5 minutes. Could actually smell the wood as it progressed. Smoked to IT of 147, 2 hours. Then put it on a hot gas grill for less than 10 minutes and foil wrapped it. Put it in towels in cooler for about 2 hours when we were ready to eat.

Unbelievable! Tender, moist and smoked to perfection. We all agreed we never had such a fantastic pork loin. Brined pork...YUM!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:07:49 AM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: First brined pork loin
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 10:00:24 AM »
Looks great.  What was served on the plate with it?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Barrel99

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 10:31:52 AM »
Some fantastic homemade creamy buttery mashed potatoes and my favorite green bean casserole. I was going to make Jeffs smoked Mac and cheese but got lazy.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 10:41:24 AM »
Some fantastic homemade creamy buttery mashed potatoes and my favorite green bean casserole. I was going to make Jeffs smoked Mac and cheese but got lazy.
Well, it sounds like you stayed in the comfort food category anyways.  :)  The only thing that I can think of as a great add to that menu would have been some smoked gravy.  I'm hooked on it.   :-*

Barrel99

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 11:22:37 AM »
How do you smoke gravy Dave? What gravy?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 11:40:23 AM »
How do you smoke gravy Dave? What gravy?
When I'm smoking my primary meat, I throw a sacrificial piece of pork or beef in with the main meat.  Not hard to find a small, cheap piece for about $3 in the meat case.  While my meat is resting, I take the sacrificial piece, add a little broth and braise it off in the oven at around 350 until I get some pan juices.  Add a little rouĂ© and a splash of Kitchen Bouquet and you have some velvet, smoky gravy for those mashed taters. 

Barrel99

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 12:37:43 PM »
Hey that's some creative gravy making. Bet that is really good on taters. Probably can put that sacrificial piece of meat in a small foil tray to catch the renderings also while its smoking to add to the gravy.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 09:42:24 PM »
Great-looking loin, Arnie!  Nice job!! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

AngieSmokes

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 10:25:05 PM »
Definitely taking notes for my recipe file. Yum - pork loin with smoked gravy. Curious, what is/in DMs pork brine? :)
Smokin-It #2 in the PNW

Barrel99

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 11:13:59 PM »
Thanks.

DivotMakers brine recipe: I did cut way back on the black and cayenne pepper

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1608.0
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 11:16:11 PM by Barrel99 »

AngieSmokes

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 11:28:50 PM »
Thanks - all sounds so good! :)
Smokin-It #2 in the PNW

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 10:18:34 AM »
Pork loins are on sale in our neighborhood this weekend for $3.99/lbs.  What do you guys/gals typically pay for your loins? 

Barrel99

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 11:07:07 AM »
I got the one above for $1.99/lb on sale at Winn Dixie.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 11:21:23 AM »
I got the one above for $1.99/lb on sale at Winn Dixie.
No wonder Florida is full of old people, meat is cheap there!  LOL!

Barrel99

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 11:54:48 AM »
Generally the loins are about the same as yours. But here when we do get sales on pork it is really good. Beef is another story. It's outrageous. Also, we have a large Latin population in South Florida and they use a lot of pork so there is a huge amount of it being sold at all times. Very competitive.