Author Topic: Does cooking the brine first and then cooling it do anything?  (Read 3879 times)

Barrel99

Does cooking the brine first and then cooling it do anything?
« on: January 27, 2015, 02:13:43 PM »
I never tried boiling the brine first, cooling it and then using it. I always use it directly from filtered tap water. Some recipes call for it. Has anyone tried it or have thoughts on it?
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Does cooking the brine first and then cooling it do anything?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 02:16:03 PM »
Boiling is simply to dissolve all your solids and open the dried herbs and spices.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 03:09:51 PM »
I have never brought the water to a boil, but I do heat about 3-4quarts of water and add the salt and stir until dissolved.  Then I add the dark brown sugar, stir.   I then add the 3-4quarts to a 2 gallon pitcher and fill with cold water.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 04:01:57 PM »
You can dissolve salt and sugar with hot water it doesn't have to boil. However when I add solid spices in a brine, like pickling spice mix, bay leaf or Juniper berries I boil them for a few minutes then let them steep to get their full flavor.

Typically I only heat 2 quarts or less then cut that with ice and cold water.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 04:07:07 PM »
You can dissolve salt and sugar with hot water it doesn't have to boil. However when I add solid spices in a brine, like pickling spice mix, bay leaf or Juniper berries I boil them for a few minutes then let them steep to get their full flavor.

Typically I only heat 2 quarts or less then cut that with ice and cold water.
Ed Zachery!
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 04:09:28 PM »
I typically only heat 1-2 quarts of water for a 1 gallon brine and 2 for a 2 gallon brine. Then I mix in cold water in ice for the remaining liquid. The ice and water almost instantly cools down my brine so I don't have to wait as long to add my meat.

I don't usually get it to a full boil, but I take it right up to that point where it is about to start boiling.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 07:08:34 PM »
I never bring to a full boil, either, but a "high simmer," with 1/2 the liquid.  10-15 minutes in the heat to dissolve all the solids, and as Dave says, "open up the spices" (great way to put it)!  Cool with ice for the remaining 1/2.  Much easier mixing with heat.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!