Author Topic: Leaving 80 degree weather for 25 degrees. Need some Kansas City Recomendations  (Read 4792 times)

Barrel99

Kansas City here I come! Tuesday I am flying to Kansas City for a week. Visiting family. I know it's crazy but seeing my family is the best. So, I intend to go to Oklahoma Joe's BBQ restaurant. What other Kansas City places do you recommend?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:17:47 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Have a great trip and just like a smoke, post lots of pictures when you get back.   8)
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Limey

You have my deepest sympathy(on the temperature front, not the family one)
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Oh man, Arnie, what a cold trip that may be! :o

OK Joe's would probably top my list, with Gates in a close second!  I know Arthur Bryant's and Jack Stack are the really famous ones, but I can't help but think they've gone too "commercial."  Gates is probably that way, too, by now.  Pretty darn good when I ate there about 30 years ago, though!  I would definitely top the list with OK Joe's - good choice!

Pics, pics, and more pics!! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

Thanks guys. Cold for sure Roger. But there will be a heat wave in a few days. In the 40's expected. That wouldn't be to bad.

We have been to Gates, Arthur Bryants and The BBQ Shack (diners drive-ins and dives) a few years ago when we were there last. All were still very good Tony. Kansas does still have excellent Q.

OK Joes and now Woodyard (diners drive-ins and dives) I was told are on this trips list. You can't help but to get spoiled using SI though. It has to pretty exceptional to beat our own smoke.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

You can't help but to get spoiled using SI though. It has to pretty exceptional to beat our own smoke.

Man, you got that right!!  BBQ joints just haven't been the same for me since SI!! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Barrel99

Wow! Kansas City was 21 degrees Tues and 61 today. We brought the Florida weather for sure.

Went to Oklahoma Joes now called Joes Kansas City BBQ. Apparently considered the best BBQ in KC and housed in a gas station. It was not what I expected. We went to the original one. There are 2 others. You had to go in line, order your food and then they had all the food already cut and prepared. They threw it on a plate and you paid. Then you had to find a table. The place was mobbed. 30-40 people on line the whole time we were there.

The ribs were great. Nice bark, good rub and very tender.

The brisket was pre-sliced. I did not know that Texas brisket was cut thick and KC brisket is thin deli sliced. There are 2 things about smoked foods I can't take. The first is creosote and second is creosote. That is all I tasted in the brisket and burnt ends. Must have been over smoked. Very disappointing.

The pulled pork and chicken were good. The sides good. All in all I really liked the ribs. Tried to go in back to see the smokers but they were to busy to allow us there.

Next is the Woodyard.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:55:06 PM by Barrel99 »

DivotMaker

Thanks for the pics and review, Arnie!  Good to hear you're having good weather up there!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Barrel99

For your info quick summary of:

Woodyard BBQ - one of K.Cs best.

Tiny place with lots of outside tables. Inside has 4 tables. Back of restaurant is
Southside Wood Company. On-line ordering of all kinds of smoking wood.

Everything was pre-cut and obviously sitting for awhile. Baby back and St. Louis ribs. St. Louis were much better. Brisket was fatty and dry. Pulled pork was ok. Burnt ends were like pieces of meat from a stew.

Cheesy corn side was cheesy corn soup. Taste ok. Beans were ok. Fries were great. Great onion rings.

Overall ok. I would not go back to Joes or the Woodyard but I am glad we tried them. Both restaurants had a light smoke taste which is prevalent in KC.

There is no question that I am spoiled with the SI. I don't smoke in the quantity they do every day, but my smoke at home is really good.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 01:05:36 AM by Barrel99 »

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Sorry you had an average quality meal. If anyone is ever in St. Louis MO, I strongly recommend Pappy's Smokehouse. Go early they prepare a set amount of food and when it is gone they close. They were the best ribs I have ever eaten. I would say that my pulled pork and brisket are as good as Pappy's but their ribs were amazing. For sides get the deep-fried corn, green beans and coleslaw.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

Brian, this is the 4th KC BBQ restaurant we have gone to. All were top rated including 2 featured on Diners drive ins and dives. All were average.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:41:49 AM by Barrel99 »

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
While I like the show I find about 30% of the places they recommend are average or below when it applies to the quality of food . Creative camera angles and an enthusiastic host can make anything look good.

We traveled nearly two hours here in Michigan to have one of the worst meals we ever attempted to eat.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

I just remembered. I have been to 5 KC BBQ joints. Another, the BBQ Shack, was also a Diners drive-ins and dives feature. It was better then the others.

Let's face it, it's all in the taste buds of the eater. Everyone likes something different. What's good to me may not be to you. True of BBQ also. So I don't like to bash any restaurant unless they are so totally horrible they shouldn't be in business, but I am disappointed that D-D-D is not very good with their choices that I have tried so far.