Author Topic: Smooth Smoke Again!  (Read 1655 times)

EFGM

Smooth Smoke Again!
« on: March 04, 2019, 09:05:40 AM »
2 More hunks of Goodness off this morning in the Chilly DFW area. No neighbors out to smell the goodness this morning for sure. 20* is cold for us.
No pictures yet, but will add after they rest. I forgot. Fire Board Captured it all!

Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

kona77

Re: Smooth Smoke Again!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 03:14:28 PM »
 Doug-  20 degrees sounds great me.. 8) 8) . -10 this morning in Wisconsin!! Looks like you also cook your briskets at a higher temp (260?).. Have been seeing more guys on this forum use a higher temp. Were todays cook times in line with other brisket smokes??
I have always used 225 but will try a higher temp on my next brisket.
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

EFGM

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 03:28:04 PM »
Gene, yes the times are right in line with my normal. When I first joined the forum, I was one of those 275 guys as that was the temp I read in one article that A. Franklin does. Come to find out there were other articles where it said 225. I was totally happy with my track record at 275 but finally tried the 225 again and had a couple of good ones but about 15 briskets ago I upped it back to 260 and am happier there that at either of 225 or 275. Had some sliders from the flat on the smaller one I took out this morning and awesomely tender, moist with great bark. Finally found what I think will be my replacement for Tatonka Dust which I absolutely loved on top of Dalmation. Forgot the pictures again, but were just like the one I posted last Friday under the 4D section. Love my Smoking-it and my Brisket. I hope at least your -10 is a dry -10!

11 hours is pretty close average for 14-16#. Both of these probed out even though the temp on one flat was only 184! One never knows
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

kona77

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 06:09:31 PM »
 Doug-  Thanks for the follow-up.. I have had great luck smoking briskets at 225. Always get Costco/premium grades in the 14-16lb range.. Cook times have varied from 14-24 hours and that makes it a challenge to plan for start time on meals. Will try 265 (from Gregg on this site) on my next attempt and see how it turns out. Would be nice to get a more consistent time within a few hours.

-10 is cold any way you cut it..Especially for March.. February was the heaviest recorded snow month ever in some parts of Wisc.. I like winter (to a point!!) but most folks up here can't wait for spring.. Where is global warming  :P :P

Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..