Author Topic: Thermoworks chef alarm  (Read 997 times)

elpescador88

Thermoworks chef alarm
« on: March 06, 2022, 09:22:39 AM »
I have been more than happy with my model one, excellent results with beef brisket and pork shoulder. Got up this morning at 5:00 to start a pork shoulder in the smoker after brining all night. Have guests coming this evening for dinner.  Inserted the Chef Alarm probe into cold pork shoulder and temp read 140 degrees. Turned it off and on, changed batteries, same results, BBQ plans foiled today by malfunctioning thermometer. Does anyone have a different brand of thermometer they recommend? Very unhappy with the reliability of this brand, this is probably the 6th time I have used it.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Thermoworks chef alarm
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 09:39:57 AM »
A lot of folks use Maverick branded thermometers. Some have gone to inkbird and a couple of others. If you have an instant read, use your past experience and do the smoke checking the temp when experience tells you that you are at the halfway point.  And just wing it from there.

I would also sent the alarm to thermoworks and have them check it out. You might need a new probe. They are a pretty good company to deal with.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 11:11:37 AM »
I have a smoke model for my cooks, and have had to replace one probe. Always have a spare probe on hand now after learning the hard way not having a spare probe.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 01:38:11 PM »
I highly recommend Thermoworks products.  I got the 'Signals' monitor that comes with four probes.  The product is rugged, works well, and has a polished user interface.  The probes are really well designed, too, and I haven't had one fail, yet.  When I do get a failure (it happens), replacement probes are the least expensive I've seen for any monitor.

The customer support is also 1st class.  I bought mine just before Thanksgiving 2020 on one of their general sales.  Just a couple days later they put this specific model on sale at a better price.  I called up support and they refunded me the difference with no begging required.

Smokin-It really needs to reach out to Thermoworks to build the PIDs/software for these smokers and ditch Auber.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 10:40:17 PM »
I have multiple Thermoworks products, including the Chef Alarm. Have had the CA for 5 years and it’s worked well. My thermapen is solid and I don’t cook without it. Same with the thermapops I have for the lake house and gave my daughter.

So , did you have the issue even with the probe unplugged? sounds like you did, but I have heard others have had issues with probes, so thought I’d ask about that.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

lcdearman

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 07:46:53 AM »
I've got a ThermoPro and had issues with one probe when I got water in it. My instructions are pretty clear on that. I bought some replacement probes and all is well again.
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker