Author Topic: 5 Racks of Babyback Ribs will fit in a # 2  (Read 2613 times)

Papa Rick

5 Racks of Babyback Ribs will fit in a # 2
« on: September 02, 2017, 12:41:12 AM »
Hopefully pics will post.  I have had some people ask me about doing this and have not been able to get the pics to post, but maybe they will this time.

I have had some ask me how I could get 5 racks of Ribs in a #2.  You have to cut them in half, and then start at the bottom with the biggest and work up to the smallest on the top.  Smoked these today at 5 /12 hours opened put sauce on them and finished them 30 more minutes.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 12:43:36 AM by Papa Rick »
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: 5 Racks of Babyback Ribs will fit in a # 2
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
Those look right tasty. And for it's size the 2 holds quite a bit.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Walt

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 09:53:46 AM »
A few years back, I cooked 9 racks of baby backs in my #2 for a funeral. I used the rib rack in the top position. I believe it could actually hold 11 if stuffed to the gills. Really important to rotate shelves. Otherwise, the bottom protein will be much dryer than the top. Many positive comments from guests, so the final outcome was as expected.

I also stuff packer briskets in without cutting in half. Largest so far was 18lbs, if I remember correctly.

The two can hold much more than most give it credit for. The main consideration when stuffing it to the gills is to ensure the internal temperature probe is clear & no meat is touching it by an inch or so & rotating shelves.

I have never regretted getting the #2 & I have never required a larger unit for any cook that I have had. My #2 was a gift. Saying that, if mine died somehow, I would probably replace it with a 3 just because the cost for the extra real estate is so little.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

drains

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 11:14:48 AM »
Nice looking ribs Rick. Looks like your #2 is doing you a great job. I do like the depth of my #3 though. Thanks for posting the pics.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Jimeo

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 11:33:11 AM »
That is a lot of good looking ribs! 

Thanks for saying this Walt,
"I also stuff packer briskets in without cutting in half. Largest so far was 18lbs, if I remember correctly".  Makes me feel better about what I did yesterday afternoon, believe I beat your record by a pound or so... ;D
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310