Author Topic: Father's Day Disappointment - Model #3 not in stock  (Read 1596 times)

dpc1969anoka

Father's Day Disappointment - Model #3 not in stock
« on: June 17, 2018, 12:36:51 PM »
Finally got corporate to agree that we need a new smoker.  It helped that today is Father's day.  Sad thing is, I went on the website to order a model #3 only to find out that it is not in stock.  I really don't want to spend an extra $200 for the digital controller with the 3D model, not to mention that corporate might get a little upset that I spent more than what was approved. 

I'd really like to take advantage of the Father's Day offers expiring today, but the website won't let me order a model #3. 

Anybody know of a way to get a rain check so I can order today and wait until they are back in stock?
Should there be no alternative and I have to spend the extra $200 for the 3D, is the digital controller really worth it?  Is it more precise?  Less fluctuation and better control?
Dane - Calhan, CO
WeberQ 1200
SI #3D WiFi

Piksil

Re: Father's Day Disappointment - Model #3 not in stock
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 12:54:44 PM »
Hi dpc:
I just got a 3DWiFi, and did a seasoning run and smoke yesterday. This thing is awesome! I saw <3* temp drop (never saw it overshoot that I'm aware of) the whole seasoning run. Now, does that tight of temp control matter? Can't answer that for you. But, the temp control is so much better than my pellet smoker and gasser, so much so that when I smoked some chicken breasts last evening, I spent most of the time inside.
I would say call Steve and leave a message. Can't hurt to try. Even if he's taking a day off (he shipped my smoker last Sunday!!), it would show you tried to take advantage of the offer before it expired.
In my very limited experience, I can say "great company, great product, great service".
Oh, this is a pretty good forum too, lots of experience and help here!
Skip--Godfrey, IL
SI-3D WiFi
Pit Boss Copperhead 5
Weber Genesis II

dpc1969anoka

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 01:56:31 PM »
Thanks Piksil!

I got a hold of Steve.  Looks like the #3s will take 3-4 weeks before they are back in stock.  We talked about the digital controller vs. the analog controller and he convinced me that the $200 is worth it.  He also mentioned the WiFi option's capabilities so I figured what's another $125...so I ordered the #3D WiFi.  LOL.  Can't wait to try it out.

-dpc
Dane - Calhan, CO
WeberQ 1200
SI #3D WiFi

Piksil

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 02:23:40 PM »
Good choice!
Good luck at your next board meeting as well ;)
Skip--Godfrey, IL
SI-3D WiFi
Pit Boss Copperhead 5
Weber Genesis II

Hank R

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 02:31:55 PM »
Great choice I am sure you will be super happy. ;D ;D
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 11:21:09 AM »
The PID controller is more precise and keeps the set temp within a degree or so.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus