Author Topic: Houston, we have a problem...  (Read 5244 times)

Donmac

Re: Houston, we have a problem...
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 10:32:52 AM »
I have used my 3D many times in single digits temperatures and never had that happen. I have had it struggle to get back up to temp after opening the door while smoking. But It has always performed well in the cold and gets to operating temp usually 235 fine. But Like I said if the door needs to be opened then it takes a quite bit of time to back to temp and sometimes never reaches the set temp at all but maybe 15-20 degrees below set temp.
Don from New Hampshire, 3D & #1 Owner

JackT

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 01:28:45 PM »
Probably something that you've already checked, but always make sure that the temperature probe is clean and not covered with any foreign substances ( meat, fat, drippings,etc.). That has happened to me before with the result of a flashing PID controller. Once cleaned off, operation returned to normal. Good luck finding your solution.
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

smokinwannabee

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 12:46:47 PM »
Have used mine on some fairly low temps here in Colorado in the past.  New panel is on the way so hopefully that takes care of it and get back to putting out some smoked goods...
Jeff.  Colorado

kona77

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 10:31:08 AM »
 I had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago when I did a pork butt. Always keep my unit in the garage with the cover on. I had not tried to use my 3-D in really cold weather and the first night the controls were very sluggish and would not let me recall the pre-programmed Pork butt recipe. I searched on this site and saw the recommendation to move inside so I did that and tried again the next night. Temps were close to zero and I had to rest the controls twice before I could get all the way through to the pre-programmed recipe.  Did get the control setting I wanted and the butt turned out great.

Only other topic was it took 17 hours to hit 195.. Always buy a 8-9lb butt for consistency and followed the same process of using DM's brine and then coating with Memphis rub. Have always hit 195 in the 12-14 hour range on my other 5-6 butts. I know it could have just been my temp probe placement or this actual butt that (or maybe the extreme cold?) required the extra time. I know these smokers are built and insulated well so I assume it was one of the other topics that created the extra time. Good learning experience for the next cold snap. Live in Wisconsin so that could be a week from now or in June 8)   
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

ArsenalFan

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 02:42:29 PM »
Unfortunately, did not work after putting the smoker in the house overnight.  Have a cover for the smoker that I keep on year round.  Thinking the after
1 1 /2 years hail damage finally caught up. Ordered another Digital Box and look forward to the next smoke.
Did the new box fix it?

I'm curious, because when my box stopped working (and I got a new box), I installed it and even the new one didn't work.  I think the root cause was a combination of a failed power cord and/or two of the spade bits weren't properly clamped to the wire (which could be the problem in cold weather with the expanding/contracting due to temp changes, might cause arcing or even the wire to disconnect totally from the spade).  When you're installing the new box, I'd suggest opening up the back and making sure all the wires are solidly connected to their spade/circle connectors.  Just a suggestion.
Ben
Solon, OH
Smokin-It #3D
MES30 (using as cold-smoker...nevermind, fixed)
MES40 (currently used as a re-wiring project)