Author Topic: Temp issues 3D  (Read 4846 times)

Blindluck

Temp issues 3D
« on: December 21, 2016, 06:13:45 PM »
Well, I've broke in and done beef ribs twice and summer sausage last weekend, today I'm smoking a 17 lb turkey. Temp is set at 275 however it won't rise above 245 on the pid, outside temp is 44 degrees.  I notice that the heating element is cycling on and off yet it's not up to the desired temperature of 275. Any Thoughts,

Alan
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:24:40 PM by Blindluck »

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Temp issues 3D
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 07:13:26 PM »
I don't have the answer to your question but can tell you that you aren't alone.  This happens to me more than I'd like.  My only recourse has been to set a higher temperature to get my actual desired temperature.  Just pay close attention to it in case it decides to reach the actual programmed temperature. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Blindluck

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 07:27:36 PM »
Thanks, I'm smoking a turkey for Xmas day and a brisket Xmas eve, weather will be in the teens and twenties, I'm worried it won't be able to handle it.  Alan

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 06:42:14 PM »
I don't think the weather is really the issue since you said the element was cycling on and off. I have smoked pork butts in -20F and never had a problem getting to or maintaining box temperature.

My guess is that you have your bird too close to your box probe. If your bird is too close to the box probe, it can mess with the internal temperature of the box.

Is this possible?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Blindluck

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 02:11:08 AM »
I had a second probe in there giving me a reading as well.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 02:35:51 PM »
It's an Auber thing.  Gregg hasn't had to deal with these issues as he has avoided the Auber controller altogether.  I'm thinking about trying a Winter auto tune to see if it is the cold affecting the controller or the controller not responding the same for lag times in Winter versus Summer, i.e. maybe the controller starts cycling too soon for Winter temps with a Summer auto tune setting. 

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 12:43:30 PM »
It's an Auber thing.  Gregg hasn't had to deal with these issues as he has avoided the Auber controller altogether.  I'm thinking about trying a Winter auto tune to see if it is the cold affecting the controller or the controller not responding the same for lag times in Winter versus Summer, i.e. maybe the controller starts cycling too soon for Winter temps with a Summer auto tune setting.

That is an interesting idea that I do not think that i have seen/heard done here before. It could be the ticket to resolve your issue.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 08:07:06 PM »
We will see.  I've read at least a couple posts in the last couple of weeks where guys with a D model are saying that the box temp isn't getting to the set temp even hours into the smoke.  I have experienced this with my standalone Auber on my last 2 smokes.  I have to believe that it has something to do with Winter temperatures.  I will run an auto tune this weekend and see if the numbers are much different from my original warm weather settings. 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 10:17:19 PM »
Personally, I've never re-autotuned an Auber for different temps, and have never had a problem.  9° being the coldest temp I've used one in, with no issues.  But, if you are having issues, by all means, do another autotune for the weather!

Blind - one thing I want to mention, from your original post, is turkey size.  You said you were smoking a 17 lb bird... That's too big for a smoker.  If will stay in the danger zone (40-140) way too long, and could be dangerous to eat.  Stick with 14 lbs or less, and you will have nothing to worry about!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Blindluck

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 11:19:15 PM »
Personally, I've never re-autotuned an Auber for different temps, and have never had a problem.  9° being the coldest temp I've used one in, with no issues.  But, if you are having issues, by all means, do another autotune for the weather!

Blind - one thing I want to mention, from your original post, is turkey size.  You said you were smoking a 17 lb bird... That's too big for a smoker.  If will stay in the danger zone (40-140) way too long, and could be dangerous to eat.  Stick with 14 lbs or less, and you will have nothing to worry about!
how long is too long, the two turkeys I've done were cooked in 5 hours?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 12:36:11 PM »
It is not how long did the smoke take. The big issue is how long did it take to get the bird/s to an internal temp of 140°?

The danger zone is any amount of time over 4 hours at under 140°.

You might have been OK. But, the general rule of thumb is that turkeys should be 14lbs or less in the smoker unless you spatchcock them.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Blindluck

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 01:15:48 PM »
Gotcha, thank you.  around 3 hours to 140, two more hrs to the 170 mark for a total of 5 hrs.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 04:23:16 PM »
Okay, I ran auto tunes yesterday and today in Winter temps.  Yesterday was 21 degrees and today was 23 degrees.  Both were within a couple numbers of each other.  Comparing them to my warm weather auto tunes:

Warm weather auto tune
P = 42
I = 855
D = 213

Yesterday
P = 38
I = 678
D = 169

Today
P = 42
I = 688
D = 172

Next test is to do a smoke and see if I can reach set temps.