Author Topic: My 3D smoker- where's the smoke taste vs my #2?  (Read 9872 times)

40 caliber

My 3D smoker- where's the smoke taste vs my #2?
« on: September 05, 2016, 02:40:35 PM »
I started with a number 2 which I sold to my cousin and upgraded to a 3D. Although I am generally happy with  the 3D over the 2, I now have something going on i quite don't understand.

The meals just don't seem to have the smoke smell /flavor of the 2. I am sure it is my imagination or something. I just finished a 9lb pork butt (to the DM recipe). it is very good, but I am having very little smoke flavor/smell. This is even in the left overs. usually you wrap them in foil and when you open it up you get the smell. I bought smokinlicious wood to see if that made the difference.
I actually used 5.9 ounces of smokinlicous wood and the flavor is light to not at all. I have never used more than 4.5ounces before this by way we good results. the wood smokes well and it arrived to my house a week ago with perfect humidity per the sheet.

I am not sure if it's my imagination or what. My wife tells me I burned out my smoke smell in my nose with all my smoking >:(

i don't believe that to be the case. only smoking in this house is the smokin it by the way.
let me know your thoughts.

Tom
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

curegeorg

Re: My 3D smoker- where's the smoke taste vs my #2?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 02:58:39 PM »
Why don't you try a bolder type of wood (mesquite for example) to see if you notice that.  My #3 is putting out just the amount of smoke flavor I like, though I haven't used it that many times (mainly comparing to other BBQ not in the #3).  It smokes quite a bit in the beginning then it tapers off.  I've been using a little less wood than you, but Pecan (2/3) and Mesquite (1/3) - it makes everything it touches smell like smoke, but is not the dominant flavor of the meat.
Coolio from Central NC

#3 with auber

Durangosmoker

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »
How long ago did you upgrade? It may take a while for the seasoning on your new unit to build up enough to match the old one, which could affect the taste.

Also, how does your wood look after a smoke is done? Do you get the sense that it is mostly burned through, or does it seem like the wood didn't burn at all? Does the volume of smoke coming out of the blow hole seem about right?

Just trying to determine if there is really something going on with your 3D.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Jax

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 04:12:02 PM »
Glad you started the thread Tom since I encountered the same thing this past weekend.  I received my 3D the last weekend in August.  After seasoning the unit, I used the remaining hickory sent with the unit to cook 2 slabs of ribs and some salmon.  Since it was my first cook, I could notice a difference in using electric vs. smoking with my wood burner.   The taste and smell when I opened the lid of the pan keeping my food was milder but you could taste some smoke. 

I used up the wood chunks, so I had to go get some wood from the store to smoke over the labor day weekend.  There was some smoke flavor in a tube of bologna, but the chicken quarters, chicken breast, pork steak, and hot dogs, hot links and sausages had not hint of smoke. 

I surmise that the hickory chunks I bought this weekend were a low grade but wood burning is wood burning and should give off the same type of smolder.  What I realize now is not to soak the wood since the element is hottest at the start up.  The time it took for the wood to dry out enough to start smoldering, prevented the smoke flavor getting into the meat.   I may smoke something else some time this week and keep the wood dry, or determine if I need another wood.
Jax
Tulsa, OK
SI 3D

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 07:39:45 PM »
I think you nailed your problem. Definitely skip the soak. Totally not needed in these smokers and only delays the start of the smoke.

I do on occasion soak some of my chips when smoking jerky when I want and extended smoke. This way, I get a second wave of smoke after the soaked chips dry out and start smoldering. I think Pork Belly got me started doing this a couple of years ago.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 07:49:53 PM »
I surmise that the hickory chunks I bought this weekend were a low grade but wood burning is wood burning and should give off the same type of smolder. 

Not in the least, my friend!  If you bought lumber yard or big box store chunks, in the bags, you probably had about 1% moisture contents.  Your wood likely burned instead of smolder.  Quality of wood means a lot, in these smokers, because the heat is clean, and hot, good quality wood is well-worth the $. 

I use a little more wood in the 3 vs 2, due to the interior volume.  The smoke flavor is more concentrated in the 2, so I use a little more in the 3 to give it longer duration of smoke, vs. quantity.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

40 caliber

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 08:16:13 PM »
Thanks guy! I think DM nailed it. i have kept records on my number 2 and was using that amount in my 3.
the unit is seasoned, the wood is smokinlicous so i am using close to the top of line wood (if not the top). I am not soaking the wood.
I understand the poster that mentioned the mesquite but i got quality flavor out of hickory before, i am sure i can.

DM- i used a mix of cherry and hickory. It was 5.9 ounces on a 9lb pork but with no taste of smoke.. isn't that higher than you usually go in your 3D? Interestingly i used 5 ounces of cherry on a 8lb chicken and got SOME flavor.
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 09:05:22 PM »
Tom - in the #1 & 2, 5-6 oz of wood was always enough for a brisket or butt.  I use 7-8 oz in the #3, and it's fine.  I find it hard to believe you are getting such a weak smoke flavor with 6, though.  Are you starting out with cold meat, and cold smoker?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

40 caliber

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 05:15:10 AM »
Tom - in the #1 & 2, 5-6 oz of wood was always enough for a brisket or butt.  I use 7-8 oz in the #3, and it's fine.  I find it hard to believe you are getting such a weak smoke flavor with 6, though.  Are you starting out with cold meat, and cold smoker?

yup, meat was around 48 degrees and smoker was cold. the day was in the low to mid 70s. it was a 9lb pork butt and 5.9 ounces  of wood. the smoke was coming out pretty heavy  and white when it started.
cold smoker and meat at 48 degrees (or so) when i plugged it in.
i did put it on the  3rd tray down instead of the second. It was too big for the top. It was a 12 hour smoke.

interestingly  the smoke flavor was more noticeable in a 7lb bird that we did pulled chicken with. It was almost right it was about 5 ounces of cherry wood.

on the butt, i don't even get much smell on the left overs. usually  you open the foil on left overs and BAM!
Tom From NH

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
That's perplexing, Tom!  When you opened the smoke box, was the wood burnt?  Ash, or black coal chunk?  I mean, I've really never had food not come out smoky enough, so I'm curious how this will turn out!  And, I like a good amount of smoke taste, unlike some.
Tony from NW Arkansas

40 caliber

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 05:11:30 AM »
That's perplexing, Tom!  When you opened the smoke box, was the wood burnt?  Ash, or black coal chunk?  I mean, I've really never had food not come out smoky enough, so I'm curious how this will turn out!  And, I like a good amount of smoke taste, unlike some.

I agree Tony! perplexing cause i love the smoke! it was complete ash on the Pork Butt. Nothing was left. i dont recall if it was white or black.
I will try cooking something this weekend  with 7+ ounces and see what happens. I know cherry is a subtle wood. I didn't know if 2.4 ounces of hickory and 3.5 ounces of cherry caused anything. I've never mixed the wood before.

I read somewhere (might have been here) that meat does not take on smoke after 140 degrees. I thought MAYBE the 3D is so solid it brings the meat to 140 too quickly but that doesn't make sense. the butt was at only 167 when i woke up in the am. (this was about 8 hours into the smoke)
Tom From NH

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 09:08:05 AM »
The Hickory/Cherry combo is awesome and one of my favorites for pork butt!

I think your issue might have been that you had combustion and burnt up all of your wood early, thus not smoking for very long.

On your next few smokes make a note of your wood placement and the wood results afterward. All of these smokers especially the 3's and 4's have hot spots in the smoke box. I think you found your hot spot. Each smoker is different too, so you can't count on my hot spot which is in the back of my smoke box being the same for yours. Try some different positioning with your wood chunks until you find where you hot/warm/cold spots are. Then place your wood accordingly based on the temp of your smoke. For example, low temp smokes will benefit from placement of the wood on the hot spot, whereas with hot smokes you'll want to stay clear of the hot spot.

I also still ramp up my temp (150 for 45 mins, then up to normal temp) even with my good Smokinlicious wood now that I have had it for a while and the moisture content has gone down some and have awesome long smokes with very rare combustions.

Just make sure you are keeping good notes of what you are doing so that you can adjust on future smokes.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Limey

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 04:59:49 PM »
A very quick and easy way to find your hotspot(s) is to spread a layer of chips evenly over the bottom of the smoke box and then fire it up for thirty minutes.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 07:20:43 PM »
I agree with Gregg, Tom.  If you had piles of ash, your wood most-likely burned instead of smolder.  Very short smoke time, when it burns.  The element, on the 3, gets a lot hotter than the 2.  Might try a layer of foil in the bottom of the smoke box, or ramp-up the temp, like Gregg.  Gotta keep the wood from catching fire.
Tony from NW Arkansas

RSNovi

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 08:03:37 PM »
I talked a buddy of mine in getting a 3D and he has also been saying that the smoke flavor just isn't there.  I feel a little guilty that he isn't happy.

Being an owner of a pellet grill too they talk about how you can adjust feed rates to get more smoke.  The smokier feed rates tend to also cause higher temperature swings.  I wonder if the tight temperature control of the 3D doesn't produce as much smoke.
Chris - Michigan
SM025
PG500
Tappecue
Maverick 735
iGrill 1