Author Topic: 3D on her maiden voyage. got a couplle quesions.  (Read 2542 times)

40 caliber

3D on her maiden voyage. got a couplle quesions.
« on: May 15, 2016, 02:48:04 PM »
well the Pork loin is in and the box temp is rock steady. I am testing it out with my Maverick 733. I expected some variation but not seeing much the temp is holding at 225 +/- 2 degrees. Far cry from the SI2 (which don't get me wrong always cooked wonderfully). the loin is at 140 so I am getting close.

couple questions.
the maverick reads 225 but the screen says 220. is it telling me the box temp is lower or that the temp has been notched down to 220 to keep the temp in place?

I had posted before I have an H error code and I was told it is because I did not have the Probe in place. I did not see that error message in the instructions so thank you here for the answer.

Question- I was seasoning and cooking for time so I didn't put the probe in. do I need the probe when I cook ribs for time?  or did I potentially turn on the temp mode? I looked carefully in all 6 areas but did not see anything for temp. I may have missed it, my wife tells me I am blind as a bat when it comes to finding things around the house ha!

waiting your expertise and answers

tom

Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: 3D on her maiden voyage. got a couplle quesions.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 04:27:29 PM »
Use the probe when cooking to an internal temp.  Time for just about everything else like ribs.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 04:57:26 PM »
Tom, you don't have to have the probe in for time.  Just press the "Time" button to change the right window from -H- to 0.00 (time, counting up).

As far as the box temp vs Maverick - you may need to program an offset into the box probe (so it displays right).  Press/hold SET until Lck is in the left window.  Dial in 155 in the right, and press SET again.  For SC1, put in 5 in the right window (this shows an offset of +5° for the box probe.  You can test the meat probe in a glass of ice water.  Its offset is SC2.  Adjust accordingly, based on 32°.  Press set until you're back to the regular windows.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

40 caliber

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 06:17:21 PM »
Tom, you don't have to have the probe in for time.  Just press the "Time" button to change the right window from -H- to 0.00 (time, counting up).

As far as the box temp vs Maverick - you may need to program an offset into the box probe (so it displays right).  Press/hold SET until Lck is in the left window.  Dial in 155 in the right, and press SET again.  For SC1, put in 5 in the right window (this shows an offset of +5° for the box probe.  You can test the meat probe in a glass of ice water.  Its offset is SC2.  Adjust accordingly, based on 32°.  Press set until you're back to the regular windows.

Thanks Tony, I was just using the maverick to become a believer with the 3D. Like horse shoes and hand grenades. - its close enough. actually if you look at the loin post , you will see that 3D was probably more accurate.

finished with another good smoke! it must be time to go back to work
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 07:53:38 PM »
That's great, Tom.  I've never had to offset an Auber more than a degree or two.  The results show it's probably pretty close! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!